Thursday, January 2, 2014

Tested

Today’s Numbers: Nancy's Days Run: 2 Nancy's 2013 Mileage: 2 Elly's 2013 Mileage: 2 Money Found For Food Bank: $3.74

Boy, did we get a surprise last night -- SNOW!!! If it was in the forecast, I totally missed it. And, when I was made aware of its possibility, I didn't quite believe it. And, then ... voila!! New Year's snow!! It came just in time for two things ... First, I was able to take a quick pic of my Christmas bulb window clings with a snowy backdrop before taking them down ...
SO pretty ... and, now, they must come
down (to make room for snowflake ones,
of course !)
... AND, I was immediately put to the test as to how serious I was going to be about this do-something-every-day thing. Snow on the ground is a great excuse not to run. But, we have a treadmill, so I could still do it. But, I hate the treadmill, and it's technically a resting day. But, the idea was something every day, so even if not running, I could use weights. But, I didn't want to use weights. I wanted to run. But, it snowed, and that's dangerous, right ?!
Avoid the gym, stay in bed, tomato, tuh-mah-toe ...
Yeah, that was last night's internal dialogue. Then, I stopped wasting my time arguing with myself and told Aaron that, yes, I was planning on going out in the morning anyway, and, yes, he should plan on coming with me. (Insert big, toothy, smiley face here.)

Did I mention it was 7 degrees when we went out? Have I ever mentioned how much Aaron hates being cold?

Before Elly and I got out, Aaron was clearing the drive. Then, Elly helped.
Oh, she looks like she's being drug along, but she was more
than fine. She didn't like being told what to do, but she was
juuuuuust  fine. At this moment, she wanted to look at me to
her left, but she was told to walk to her right. Oh, pooch
problems ...
I took my true-blue Nikes out of retirement for this outing; no way was I taking the new kicks out when they might get wet! The blues served me well until the last two tenths when the treads, as they are, were caked with snow. So, I did a little bit of slippy-sliding under my toes -- kind of like running in sand only with the promise of really hurting your can when you fall on the pavement. Fortunately, I stayed upright. All of us did, so we call this one a success!

Elly had herself a great time running and investigating ...

 
... and we had fun chatting while I questioned my decision to give a nod to the snow by wearning a blingy headband instead of something to protect my ears from the wind.
Form over function, right?
These next few days will be interesting with the snow getting packed down and refreezing. I might see that treadmill yet. But, we all know that won't come without a fight! But, it's that kind of fight and determination that has kept this venture going for years, so we'll call it a successful strategy (vs. ohmygosh stubborn ...)! From some place, I'll see you after the morning run!

No comments:

Post a Comment