Wednesday, January 22, 2014

No Thinking Required

Today’s Numbers: Nancy's Days Run: 16 Nancy's 2013 Mileage: 44.3 Elly's 2013 Mileage: 31 Money Found For Food Bank: $8.07

Today's was a run exemplified the notion of, "Don't overthink it. Just go." In other words, it's because I had it on the schedule to run that I went and not because I was super enthused to do so. In fact, I wasn't super enthused throughout any of the run (that's a lie -- I was pretty stoked to wind up having found 56 cents in those 3 1/2 miles, but that has nothing to do inherently with the running activity ...). There's nothing wrong, it's just one of those days where the wind pounding my face (again) was hacking me off, and the idea of being in a warm bed was wayyyy more appealing than being out and about running like a fool.

But, I wanted the run to get done. And, so it was ...

Besides, how on earth could I deny Elly who, once she heard I was out of bed, was by my side constantly letting me know she didn't want to be left behind like she was yesterday.
Here's Elly post-run yesterday. Post my run as I didn't take her.
(Nice bed head, girl.)
"I will not be left behind tomorrow, mommy, and I'm going to
make certain of it. Just you wait."
Before we left to run, she was pulling her usual "I'm here! I'm still here!" movement which is when she walks down the hall with me, but she turns her head back to make sure I see her. She's literally like a walking capital C turned sideways. It's kind of funny ... until it doesn't serve her well like during this morning's run. It was when she was running forward but looking backward at some car that she fell right in a hole. It was deep enough for her chin to hit the ground, but it was wide enough to do no damage to her leg. (Many times, like when we run up on broken glass or other hazard, I say a quick prayer of thanks for God watching over my puppy's paws; this prayer was a big one.) While I saw the hole, I had no idea she was looking backward, so I gave her no warning. *sigh* Fortunately -- very fortunately -- all turned out well. Oh, and she had a great "What the bleep just happened?!?!" look on her face right after. That was actually kind of excellent.

Besides the fact that there were snow flurries (so pretty!) by the time we hit the second mile, and they lasted the duration of the run, the rest of our adventure was uneventful except that we did it. Today, I'll take that as a victory because I just wasn't feelin' it today!
I was, however, feelin' the love. Sweet girl. Thanks for taking
one for the team, by the way.
And, just as point of interest, I gave Elly another check of her paws and legs once in the car (although, really, she'd just run a couple of miles post-fall ... I think I would have known if there had been a problem), and I couldn't help but fixate on how her feet look like blocks.
How very Fred Flintstone ...
Tomorrow's a day of rest for her and weights for me while I take a day from running before figuring out what to schedule on Friday which is supposed to be stupid-cold in the morning! I'll deal with that later and check in tomorrow! See you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment