Thursday, January 23, 2014

Besties

Thanks to the recent onslaught of wicked-cold temperatures and the whipping winds, I have a new best friend:
I am among those who get the really dry skin that gets to the point of burning while itching in the Winter, so this recent weather is most uncool. Very cool is that I picked up a few of these samples at one of the race Expos and still have them. Thank you, Gold Bond people, for the samples. You made a believer and a purchaser when I actually remember to pick it up while I'm at the store out of me. For real, if you have that over-the-top dry-ouchie skin problem, this. is. the. stuff!!!!!!

Of course, the weather hasn't driven me inside to exercise too much this season (because I tend to be a cold weather glutton for punishment), but it was a weights day today ... conveniently scheduled on a day where my schedule couldn't accommodate a run anyway.

Speaking of indoor activities, I wanted to share something I read yesterday ... I just picked up Dr. Phil's Self Matters: Creating Your Life from the Inside Out book. It is, of course, about you; basically, understanding your life experiences and then how those experiences influence your opinion of yourself. (A great read to not only understand yourself but to also understand how you affect others ...) Anyway, he had a great statement in there I think everyone should grab hold of and embrace:

"Where you are now, everything you are, everything you do, begins with and is based on what I call your personal truth. I mean whatever it is that you, at the absolute, uncensored core of your being, have come to believe about you. The personal truth is critical, because if you believe it, if it is real to you, then it is for you the precise reality that you will come to live every day."

I loved this reminder because it's far too easy to mentally design a life that promotes defeat instead of success. Why oh why is it easier to bow out than to get in the game (amiright?)?

Dr. Phil goes on to say that it makes no difference what story you're espousing to everyone else (and, they probably see through the crap, anyway, if you're not being authentic or if your actions and words don't match up); what matters is what you say to yourself. Your actions are going to follow either way, so why not choose the path of being mentally positive and constructive, and (therefore) successful!

It took me a long time to identify myself as a runner -- longer than it's ever taken me to positively/constructively identify myself in any other role I've ever had. I will tell you, though, that once I claimed it internally, the activity became soooooo much easier (even on hard days), and -- perhaps more important! -- way more fun!

And, see how it works with all kinds of roles?!
Here's to being your own best friend and biggest fan, and I'll see you after the morning run!

No comments:

Post a Comment