Monday, October 14, 2013

Now

Now, seeing this was a great way to start Monday!!

I know I don't spend much time writing about why I started running in the first place. That's never been my focus, and, frankly, I don't think I have a particularly interesting story about how I started. Besides, as can be seen somewhere on any motivational running message board or social media site, my story isn't half as much about why I began as the fact that I kept going. It's maintaining and continuing that always seems to be the difficult part of exercise, isn't it? That's why I write about it -- to show that no matter how difficult or easy a day, no matter how exciting or mundane, there's someone out there who keeps going. You can count on me in that regard, that's for sure.

Underlying the momentum are, of course, reasons to continue. I draw on different reasons at different times, but most of them feel very personal to me and not necessarily what I think would resonate with everyone. However, lately, I think my motivation is 100% universally applicable: I think about getting old.

I don't fear getting old at all. I never have. Getting old = Total gift!! But, I want to get there the very best way possible. In my recent observations of many, older adults, it appears the ones having the best time and highest quality of life are the ones who are physically free to move about. And, based on those I know personally, that movement didn't begin as a catch-up plan as they aged; they've been moving in some way all along.

It's not just about running. That happens to be my activity of choice. Walking. Biking. Dancing. Swimming. Sports. Etc. All. Moving. Counts. I could do a quick search to find all kinds of medical evidence to back this up. We all know about it from elementary school health topics to the First Lady's national campaign. We all know about it and can learn as much as we want or need. I don't feel the need for that kind of education. I have seen the lack-of-movement outcome up close and personal, and I want nothing to do with it.

There are no guarantees, and not every reason for someone's slow-down is preventable at any age. But, presently, I have been blessed with a strong, healthy body and mind. Now is the time to use them to their fullest. Not later: Now. I intend to work like hell to prevent what I can so there is no looking back wishing I'd done it different when I could. Getting old doesn't scare me. Being exhausted just carrying out the dailies does.

Besides, I have to keep moving, or how else will I fulfill that dream I've talked about? You know the one ... this one!
I'm soooooo there down the road!!
Five more miles toward the long-term goal are on deck for tomorrow! I'll check in after; see you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment