Sunday, October 27, 2013

Not That ... THIS!

Today's numbers: Nancy's Days Run: 163 Nancy's 2013 Mileage 767 Elly's 2013 Mileage 360.4 Money Found For Food Bank: $18.77 in change, $25 in bills

2012 Found-Money Food Bank Donation: $7.83

When I ran the Rock'n'Roll St. Louis Half Marathon last year, I crossed the finish line just knowing  I was running that course again. Everything about the experience from the Expo to the course to the event as a whole was that fabulous! I was immediately committed to returning!

Well, the funny thing about making plans is that life happens to them! The Rock'n'Roll event took place this morning, but it just didn't fit with the priority plans in our house. The plans we took on instead were fabulous, and I wouldn't have missed them. I have to admit, though, a slight twinge last night of feeling like, "Oooo ... was there any way  to have done both?" Yes, there would have been a way to do both, but it would have been at the expense of being fully present at either. And, that is not how I roll. At all.

My commitment to the one and my being bummed about the other did not have to be mutually exclusive, and getting on board with that when I realized the schedule conflict was the key to success to letting my intended plans go and completely enjoying where I was. Besides, how could I possibly be very bummed when the world of virtual running has entered my life, and, in doing so, I'm able to make this running gig as big or as little as I want at almost any point in time! Enter next weekend's Half Marathon distance and cupcake medal, and I'm good to go (at a deeply discounted monetary price)!

So, last year, I was running here ...
... almost the entire way alongside this lady:
She's the one who finished her water from
a drink station and hit me with her cup
when she threw it. It was fabulous!
This year, when the Rock'n'Roll Half was starting, I was still in my cozy bed (Yeah!! No complaint there!). And, when I finally did motivate myself to get up and out, I wasn't running alongside crazy cup lady (ha!). Instead, I looked over to see them ...
aaaaannnddd, him!
Yes, I have somehow convinced or otherwise inspired my favorite running pal to join me even when it's a 32-degree start!! To know him is to really get the degree of impact the cold has on him, so, trust me, I'm surprised and happy every time he is willing to join me!
Do you see what I see? Frost on the snapdragons in the
sittin' spot! Brrrr ...
We used the first two miles to plot and plan how next weekend's Half will work for everyone including all runners, so it was not only fun, it was productive! (Details forthcoming. As in tomorrow. Until then, the password is: Relay!) Yet, another win-win for the week!
 
It was on this outing that I shared with Aaron my time goal for April's Half which is totally and completely doable provided all of my life stars align. If they do, a personal record is on deck. If they don't, then I'll finish and move on knowing I did everything I could and gave it what I had. I know I don't tend to give time much attention, but I've been at this long enough that I've chosen to selectively dabble. To be honest, a big event evokes a whole lotta adrenaline and excitement, and I've learned to use it! I also embrace that the going is what matters no matter how fast. Or, slow. Or, in between! It's that simple.
 
I like simple.
 
I also like making the most of what's in front of me, so while I did not participate in the 2013 Rock'n'Roll Half, I did pay it homage with a purposeful donning of last year's event shirt and blingy head band I think I bought at that Expo. Even if I didn't, it's what I remember and not a life-changing detail.
Four miles, four runners (Jacques likes to be included), three pennies and feeling awesome about all of it. Can I ask for anything more than that?
"This actually worked about better for me,
mommy, because you didn't let me run
with you at that event. *sigh*"
(ps: Is Jacques fabulous or what?!)
It's on with the rest of the weekend, and I'll see you tomorrow on Rest Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment