Thursday, October 17, 2013

Great Minds Running

Four days ago, on the 13th, my post included the Don't Judge a Book By It's Cover sentiment, only I changed it to Don't Judge a Run By Its First Mile.

On the 15th, this came through my Facebook feed from Distant Runners:
They went on to say: "This is the runners version of judging a book by its cover. How many miles does it take you to feel the runners high (or at least to stop feeling slightly like death)??"

Is that an example of great minds thinking alike OR WHAT?!

The funny thing is that when I started running, I felt like an outcast. I felt like a total poser when I subscribed to Runner's World magazine. I felt uncomfortable and out of place registering for my first 5K never mind how I felt when I approached the starting line. And, when I registered for my first Half Marathon, multiple times  I had to pull out the confirmation email that, yes, I really did  register, I really did  pay, and that really was  my name on the receipt.

When I finally got on Facebook, I 'liked' running pages with a lot more confidence than I would have years ago. But, I did assume I'd be seeing posts only from runners whom I'd never see at a race because they'd be so smokin' fast and that their posts would largely have to do with their personal accomplishments. For the most part, my assumptions were wrong, and the feed I receive is chock full of relatable and fun motivation. There are even a few page owners who proudly post times that are just like mine!

I never thought I'd feel a part of the running community. I never thought I'd be able to relate. Apparently, I was wrong. There are a lot of great minds thinking alike out there!

This mind will see you after tomorrow's very long run!

No comments:

Post a Comment