Monday, October 28, 2013

More Than Meets the Eye

I just learned that there is a World Record holder for the longest scarf knit while running a marathon. I'm not even kidding. Less than two weeks ago, he broke the previous 9' 6" record by knitting a 12' 1 3/4" scarf while completing his 26.2 miles in 5:48.

And, I thought it was somewhat impressive to take decent pictures on the run.

Speaking of making more of things than meets the eye ... This Saturday is the virtual run!! Virtual runs are awesome because, for so many of them, you really do get to pick your logistics. The when, the where, the how ... it's all up to you! That also worked well for us this go around because we're all busier now than we were over the summer; details needed to be fluid until closer to the date to see what actually worked vs. what simply sounded good at the time but is impossible to pull off without poking ones eyes out.

But, because so many life details kept getting added and/or altered, my brain has been on figuring out how to make this the best virtual event it can be ... because you already know, straight-forward running doesn't seem to be inspirational enough.

Enter: The Virtual Marathon Relay!

I've seen marathon relays at every large event I've done, and I've been intrigued. In the ones I've seen, the relay team is comprised of four members, and the marathon route is split somewhat evenly -- I've read about anything from a 5K on up for leg distances. At my Half events, I've gotten to see the relay handoff at the 10K mark, and I've seen a number of whole teams cross the finish line together. While I've enjoyed completing a Half distances on my own, I can't help but be inspired by the teamwork of the relay. In fact, many times, I've spent some of my time running my Half plotting whom I'm going to sucker into being a part of a relay team with me someday!

Evidently, my sweet suckers are Mary Kate and Pit Crew #2! Check this out ... With all of the upcoming Saturday logistics on the table, coupled with the inspiration of a relay team, we have Saturday mapped out!

Leg one: Mary Kate runs her crazy-early-morning 10 miles and earns her Pink Awareness medal!
Leg two: I set sail on the first half of my Half pausing at the 10Kish mark to earn my Spooky medal!
Leg three: Onward I go to complete the Half distance which is also a little past a 10K -- Pink Awareness medal time!
Leg four: Pit Crew number 2 takes off for 3.1 miles to earn her Pink Awareness medal!

Mary Kate and I will somewhat overlap her ending and my beginning, but it's an imperfect world. I think of it as an extended handoff chute. We could use that if we were doing this in person because it would give us more time to talk.

So, there it is!! I'm SO excited to take on another challenge in a new way! And, in case you're wondering, breaking the Half in two makes it seem like it's not as long as one, long stretch. I'll let you know how it feels after I'm finished! Before then, there are two more runs for the books, so I'll check in after tomorrow's as we get closer to go time !!

No comments:

Post a Comment