Thursday, October 10, 2013

Nice Surprise ... From the Kitchen, No Less!

Growing up, I was fiercely taught to respect books. No dog earing. No writing in them. No bending, dropping, throwing or otherwise abusing in any way. Period. It was so engrained that when I got to college and saw people highlight their textbooks or, worse, novels ... gasp ! I felt my heart jump into my throat ... for fear of the book police, I suppose.

So, when I picked up a cookbook at my parents' place and saw commentary within, I got the biggest kick out of it! The cookbook is this:
And, inside, I saw this:
My mom is not one to mince her words.
And, this:
Censored for delicate eyeballs ...
To be honest, given the focus of the cookbook, I wasn't really suprised at the commentary. In fact, it's about what I would expect ... forget that I have had very little exposure to recipes for specialized dietary needs. I make what I think is a pretty normal assumption in that once a recipe is created to meet particular food intake limitations, it's going to turn out pretty bland. Or gross.

But, then, I came across this notation ...
My parents have very developed, dare I say sophisticated,
palates, so this kind of ringing endorsement got my attention!
... and, I just had to find out for myself especially when the meal screamed excellent pre-run meal (yeah!!)!

Here's the outcome of ours:
Ohhhhh yeahhhhh ...
I have the recipe below, but my super-awesome camera skills cut off the nutrition information per serving (one enchilada). Here it is: 251 calories; 9 g. fat; 46 mg. cholesterol; 571 mg. sodium; 23 g. carbs; 1 g. fiber; 18 g. protein.

You might be stunned at how filling just one of these is! I was! It's also a great entree with something on the side to round out a meal with more variety than just the "Great! Wonderful" enchiladas ... although, to me, they didn't need much help!

May today bring about a happy surprise for you, and I'll see you after my enchilada-fueled long run tomorrow!
We swapped the sour cream for Greek yogurt. Mmmm ... and, more protein!
What'cha waiting for? GO MAKE 'EM!!

No comments:

Post a Comment