Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Say Cheese!

My pursuit of swaps in the kitchen is constant but not intense. (I also tend to need to be told 10 or 20 times about something before I remember to seek and try it, like swapping Greek yogurt for sour cream, but that's another issue.) More often than not, I see something and grab it before talking myself out of it. And, it tends to work. Today is another of those times!

I was getting a package of wonton wraps for the family fave Crab Rangoonies and noticed this in the same section:
We don't usually buy cheese singles except around Christmas. For some reason, Christmas brings out the desire for grilled cheese ... mmm ... Anyway, having just gone through the annual round of grilled cheese goodness, I couldn't help but wish there were a better (healthier) option for the cheese. When I've tried other cheese options like the fat-free variety, they've only left me thinking, "That's not cheese."

I'm pretty sure I've seen this package of Go Veggie! cheese because it lives not only next to the wonton wrappers but also next to the tofu. I'm also pretty sure I've thought, "Yeah, right," and blown it off. Today, though, I had to try it and grabbed it before thinking too much about it. In fact, I picked it up not even knowing how much it cost. I tried to locate the price, but there was no label on the shelf. This normally triggers me to find someone to price check for me, but I guess I was feeling all kinds of willy-nilly!

I'm happy (and stunned) to report that my grilled cheese experiment was a huge success!
This was delish !!!! And, the cheese by itself was very good! I asked Aaron to try it and give his opinion (because he'll be crazy honest if he thinks something tastes terrible!), and he said he would never have known the difference had he not been told. That's a winner to me!

In case you're scared of the not-really-cheese options out there, I had to share this one! Oh, and for this 12-slice package, it was $2.88. I don't even know how that compares to the price of the regular stuff, but I don't really care because it's a much better option in the health category (40 calories a slice for this vs. 70; 2.5 grams of fat a slice vs. 6). Whee!!

With that, it's on with Rest Day, and we'll see you after the morning run!

No comments:

Post a Comment