Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Crab In the Kitchen and It's Not Me!

We have our DVR set up to record the Hungry Girl series, and am I so glad we do because we had a home run recipe with dinner last night! (You already know I like the cookbook of hers I have, but how much fun is it to watch the instructions instead of reading them?! What a great way to honor Rest Day, huh?!) Anyway, the theme of the last show we watched was for movie night foods, and she had a great recipe for what she called "Crab Rangoonies." (Get it? Goonies? Okay, I never saw it, but it was still a fun name ...)

Take a look at how they turned out for us!
Here are the easy, easy instructions. Mentally
add to them, "Mix all of that stuff up" and you
are golden. I don't like to write things down that
are obvious, but it's going to be funny the day I
get this recipe out and am confused about what
to do ... Hey, we've all been there ...

Other notes: Chop up the crab to your liking (I
did mine very fine), and the garlic measurement?
I think I used 2 huge cloves. You just can't go
wrong with garlic for us! Oh, and the soy sauce
was the reduced sodium kind if that matters to you.
I've only used these once, and that was years
ago. So, if you're like I was at the store, I'll
just crack the code for you and let you know
you find these in the produce section.
I hate using a knife to chop scallions, so I use the ol' kitchen shears.
Snip-snip-snippety-snip-DONE. Excellent.
I couldn't remember what flavor of Laughing Cow cheese Hungry
Girl used, so I bought what looked yummy to me and would work
well in such a recipe. Only 35 calories a wedge in these babies! AND
there were dollar-off coupons on the packages ... banner day! Anyway,
take all of your ingredients, mush 'em up, and put about a heaping
teaspoon on to the middle of the wonton wrapper. Get all four edges
of the wrapper wet with your finger dipped in water, fold and stick
together. It's like magic! The stuffing and folding was the most time-
consuming part of the process ... but totally worth it!
You spray your pan and the wontons once
they're stuffed and on the pan, so I used my
new oil sprayer thingy. It put out a bit more
oil-that-floats-in-the-air than I thought it should,
but it's still considerably less than the aerosol cans.
Here they are before being baked!! Here goes nothing ...
Mine weren't as brown as the ones I saw on TV, but they were
definitely done. (Can we not believe anything on TV anymore?!)
Bake for 12 minutes at 375 flipping them half way.
The biggest testiment to their greatness? BOTH
young Pit Crewers loved them! Pit Crew #3 is
displaying his as a smile ... THAT'S huge!!
As we were eating dinner, Pit Crew #3 asked, "Um ... are these something we can have ... well ... often?" OUTSTANDING. I love when things work out that we all love!

Oh, and in case you were wondering, Hungry Girl said each rangoonie is 40 calories. I did the math on mine, and they were actually 38. Yeah!! (I also ended up making 18 instead of 16 ... it just worked out that way.)

Give these a shot if you like regular oh-so-bad-for-you-but-oh-so-delicious crab rangoon! They were an excellent side ... to my Mexican tortilla soup! I'm so worldly. See you after the morning run!

No comments:

Post a Comment