Thursday, January 3, 2013

A Little Unintended Extra For the Trainer

As a newbie in the running game, one piece of advice you often hear or read about is to not give yourself permission to eat more just because you're now running. I remember reading in the "Newbie Chronicles" in Runner's World a few years ago where the author, after having completed his first 5K, talked about slathering his steak with some butter and indulging in other cuisine extravagances because "he could." That made me laugh, but I could relate to the concept because, frankly, I remember feeling not only starved when I first started running, but I also spent the first 6 months or so justifying a higher caloric intake to make sure  I was well-fueled for running. (As if I was really purposely tracking that.) Yup, totally did that! Don't we all at one time or another?

This all popped into mind as I was headed to the kitchen to prep dinner, and I saw Elly out on the deck. She was very busy ... snarfing up the bread pieces thrown out there this morning!
'Ironic that this is happening on Rest Week when neither of us
is running, don't you think? And, you see no bread pieces
because she already ate them all.
"Can't stop and chat, Mommy. I'm seeing if there's more!
There simply must be more!!"
The only real treat she ever gets is her evening Dentastick or a few pieces of popcorn, so that hound is all over it when there's something accessible to her (let us recall the Christmas stocking raid)! I put dinner prep on hold for a minute and watched her. And, I thought about how we aren't running this week. Then I recalled the magazine article. Then, I started giggling at her. Then I took her picture. Then I gave the mouse a cookie.

Okay, never mind the last one (but, thank you books by Laura Joffe Numeroff!). Tune in tomorrow when I share with you a some new tips from the kitchen I've recently implemented and how those went together for dinner! It's my latest and greatest go-to around here, so I wanted to spread the joy! See you on Rest Week's Friday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment