Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Ooops, I Did It Again

To be perfectly honest, my original theme of today's entry was completely different from how it's about to end up! You see, while out running this morning, I was thinking about something my Dad said to me decades ago. He told me, in reference to work, that work, in and of itself, can be pretty boring if you let it. Therefore, take it upon yourself to make it fun.

I think I've mentioned his sage advice along the way, but it certainly applied today for the first three quarters of the run. Elly and I were going along with nothing noteworthy happening. In fact, it was so easy-breezy that even Elly wasn't being contrary! It was definitely a nice outing but nothing to really write home about ... or write about other than successfully completing it!

So, there we were at a series of stoplights, and I thought about some saying that's "out there," if you will about how you can tell the difference between a jogger and a "real" runner because a jogger will be antsy at a stop light while a "real" runner stands there looking pissed. I always thought that saying was lame, but I'm not wrapped up in someone else identifying for me what I am or am not accomplishing, just sayin'.

Anyway, there we were at the stop light ...
I'm totally down with stopping for a minute. I recommend
this sentiment. Highly.
Does this duo looked pissed?
Elly's obviously feeling delighted because she looked right at
the camera mid-run! She was feeling easy going today. Or,
she was making up for getting me up at 4:25 a.m. to let her out.
In part, the human side of the duo is mighty okay with waiting at a light. I'll take the rest and have nothing to prove. I was also okay with it because it gave me time to scope. And, to score:
This wasn't quite in the pedestrian crosswalk, so I probably
would have missed it had their been no red light. Red lights
can be your running friend if you let them.
It was at that stop light series that I locked on to what I wanted to talk about today (the jogger vs. "real" runner thing ... a distinction I will forever find weird, but whatever). Today's theme settled, right? You'd think so, but, ahhh, this outing had a whole different idea for the duo and provided me with excitement and a story for today that I did not see coming.

I TOTALLY ALREADY FELL DOWN!

Yup, sure did. Second run of the new year, and SPLAT ... So, okay ... seeing as I had time to use today, I was pondering my route as I went. I didn't diverge much from one I often use because, if I'm being honest, I don't often like spending time later mapping the distance. But, there is one circle I often pass and finally realized is actually a circle and not a cul-de-sac, so, on a whim, I figured I'd incorporate it.

At exactly the half-way point of the circle, there was a rise in the sidewalk making a ledge between concrete pours. I even saw it. Then, I felt my foot hit it, and it was like slow motion for a minute. I stumbled yet had enough time to say to myself -- very matter of fact -- , "Woah ... I think I'm about to go down." Then, the slow motion portion of the program ended as I hit my knee, then my hip, then the heel of my hand ... all the while, I somehow pulled off a spectacular roll much like you see volleyball players perform when diving for a ball and somersault their way out of the dive. I didn't quite make it to my feet, but it was a better roll than I ever  pulled off during the four years I played volleyball when I was much more agile than I am now.

My splat-a-roo startled Elly, but she had the greatest look and stance when all was said and done. Her pose was as if to say to the rest of the world, "She totally meant to do that even though we all know she totally didn't." Her dropped-back ears pulled off the last part of that sentiment. Can't quite get the visual? Think: Hand in the cookie jar.

If you read my wrap up from last year, you'll remember one of my greatest accomplishments of 2012 was not breaking my camera during that year's two falls. So, you know the next thing I did was check it. All was well. Whew! Then, and only then, did I think to check my pants where my knee hit. No hole! Sweet!

My hip stung, and I was hoping for a bruise (because this was seriously quite a fall ... best one yet), but I knew even then I wasn't going to get a good battle wound. What a rip! My hand? Thankfully just fine:
Looks like not much, stung like a booger.
It wasn't really my hand, per se, that I considered as much as my wrist given the way I hit. But, all is well. Thankfully!

And, wouldn't you know what was at the end of that inserted-last-minute street before returning to my normal path:
Okay, of all of the money I find, I call this one totally earned!
I'm happy to report the remaining mile was completely uneventful! I spent a bit of that time hoping I got a fall out of the way versus this being some sick foreshadowing of what's to come! I was also thankful for not having to buy new running pants. Tell me that  wouldn't have been insult to injury!

And, you know how it goes ... you fall down, you get back up, and you do it all over again! Well, "it" minus the fall! We'll be back at it tomorrow ... hopefully unscathed!! See you then ... and, be careful out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment