Thursday, January 31, 2013

I Really, Really, Really Like the Short Runs

The training schedule I use for a Half includes a number of two-mile runs before weekend long runs, and I totally love them. I embrace every time I get to do just two because I usually either have more to do or I keep my shortest non-training runs at three. What a blast to "be told" to keep it at two!! (If I've learned to enjoy double-digits, I can certainly rejoice in the low singles!!)

Clearly, today was one of the two-milers! Additionally, this morning's temperature was 26, but the wind chill brought it down to single digits. It was cloudy, the wind was whipping ... put the distance and the weather together, and that's a great morning to run! WooHoo!!

Elly was totally down with the morning run, too. I think the weather invigorates her like it does for me. Adding to my morning pleasure:
A coin! When I picked it up, though, I had no idea if it was a
penny or a dime. It was so coated in whatever that it was
difficult to tell. Into the pocket it went to ponder later!
The other cool thing about a short run is that it is actually pretty difficult to find a route that is two miles pure; they tend to wind up more than or less than, and, when it comes to specific training runs, I route runs to land right on the target. It's a system that has worked multiple times, so I don't mess with it either direction by running over (and, most definitely, not short changing any). Therefore, because there was an extra half mile from the two-mile mark to my car, well, that lent itself to a lovely little stroll at the end!

Elly loved the extra, unhurried sniff time!
"Freeeeeeeedoooooomm!! Well, as free as I can be on a leash!"
She even paused so I could snap a pic of what it likely our last patch of snow this season:
"I will stop, but you can't make me look."
While Elly enjoyed her free time, I checked out my coin:
The muck started to wear off ... it turns out, it's a penny!
Every penny counts!
And, along the walk, it started to snow! There were just a few flurries floating down, but it was awesome!
That little white speck on Elly's left
shoulder is, indeed, a snowflake! Yay!
The temperatures are supposed to be on the rise again, so that'll put a quick twist on the runs! Fortunately, tomorrow's Rest Day will buffer the change! We'll check in then!

No comments:

Post a Comment