Saturday, January 5, 2013

That's Very Rock and Roll To Me

Last night, I set out to buy a new pair of running shoes. The ones I'm wearing are teetering on needing to be replaced, so now's the perfect time to go ahead and do so before starting the upcoming Half's training. I've previously switched shoes while putting in training miles, but I'd prefer to not especially if I run into the problem of not being able to find the exact shoe I want. Therefore, I thought I'd get on it now.

So much for planning ahead. I returned to the same store where I have bought my last two pairs of the lightening-titanium-periwinkle Asics ... the shoes I've grown to love and count on ... only to find just a few pairs, none of them my size. I was told I could special order them for no extra charge (hooray!), but they might not be here for 4 to 6 weeks (boo!). I was told they could  show up earlier. Or not.

I walked away to think about it and see if I could find them elsewhere. The reality of the quest proved what I already knew -- I am not going to be able to find them for the price I get them at my go-to store if I can find them at all. Wrenches were thrown all over this endeavor today!

I absolutely hate when I have to get a new pair of shoes and the ones I've come to love are nowhere to be found. I hate the amount of time it takes to find the right, new pair. I hate the leap of faith I always have to take when switching shoes. I hate thinking so much about shoes. Not finding what I hoped for immediately was a bit of a running buzz kill.

And, then, I received an uplift. I came home to the latest issue of my Runner's World magazine in my mailbox. I turned the cover and saw this:
THIS. MEANS. ME.
You might remember I saw an ad for the Rock 'n' Roll Marathon Series in my very first issue of this magazine, and I thought it was so incredibly cool. Today, I opened the magazine, saw the ad, and it directly applied to me both in recent accomplishment and in commitment to returning this Fall. That feeling was very rock and roll -- totally trumped the shoe buzz kill.

Shoes, schmoes, I'll find some. And, this year's running will totally rock. I've already decided.

One more Rest Day before hitting the streets again also totally rocks, so I'll see you on it tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment