Friday, January 11, 2013

"We're Doing Our Jane Fonda"

As it is Rest Day, I indulged myself this morning using my normal running time to watch the last episode of Season 1 of The Good Wife. All I can say is holy moly that show is as good as I hoped! That was well worth my time!

That's not all I did, though. I also used that running time to try out a new DVD. Check out what I recently bought, and then I have to tell you specifically why:
One of my very favorite lines in Steel
Magnolias was when Sally Field's character
was moving her daughter's legs for her (as
her daughter was in a coma), and when the
nurse came in the room, Sally Field said to
her, "We're doing our Jane Fonda."
I don't know what on what show I recently saw an interview with Jane Fonda, but I felt compelled to tune in given she's 75 (in that picture above, she's 74. Seventy. Four. I think I need to say no more.) and put out this exercise DVD in 2011. I had to know about it because she clearly knows something.

What she said totally resonated with me as she described the focus of this DVD being on strength, flexibility and balance. She went on to say these exercises were totally doable for those who have problems she has had with hips and/or knees, and it was clear to me (I just can't remember what she actually said) that these exercises were great for seniors.

Now, here's the thing ... while I'm not a senior, I have a goal to be a healthy one. As you know, it's my vision to win, or at least place!, in my 70+ age group in a race. However, I am also aware that running alone will not keep me healthy head to toe. And, if I'm being honest, exercises that promote strength, flexibility and balance are sorely lacking in my repertoire. Sorely. Even when I find them and start, I always stop because, frankly, they're usually too intense for me to want to continue.

Therein lies my soapbox for the day: I think one of the main culprits thwarting someone from starting any kind of exercise regime is the bombardment of stronger-faster-more intense-do more because what you're doing is not enough  messages. They're on tv, in print and even in casual discussion: "I'm going to run a 5K," says the newbie runner. "Great! How fast are you going to finish?" is a typical response -- sometimes innocent, sometimes not at all. Because finishing is somehow inadequate? UGH!

I spent the first year and a half of running working to convince myself that what I was doing was "good enough" while I kept plugging along. In fact, a great part of that year was spent also trying to convince others that what I was doing was "good enough" all the while trying to act like I wasn't trying to convince anyone of anything (I hate  defending what I think needs no defense). Once I finally reached a goal I'd set for myself, done my way, I felt the internal and external pressures subside, and running became way more fun!

As you know, I'm not intense, I feel no need to prove myself to anyone else, and the only "pressure" I put on myself is remaining true to my commitment to keep on going. It's not even pressure. It's simply a commitment. How I keep on going is my decision ... which is what keeps me going.

SO, back to today -- When I heard about this DVD, I knew it was for me right now with its low intensity, its low pressure, and hitting major, life long areas of importance -- balance, strength, flexibility. I also figured it was very right for Aaron (who very readily agreed to join me ... DVD workouts for me are always more fun with a friend!) given his knee issue.

I did the upper body workout today for the first time, and it was perfect for what I want because it requires movements I need but do not normally do. By the end of the video, I did not even break a sweat, but doing so wasn't the point. In fact, I was really glad because that will make it that much easier to pop in, go through and get on with whatever in my world comes next because there is no shower required. What it did do was help stretch me out and awaken some muscles. Outstanding.

There's always opportunity to do more, get more intense, etc. But, you know what? I don't always want to. If every workout is like that, this girl is simply going to burn out and stop. The same as puppy-pacing worked for me to run, this is the perfect start to exercises I very much need. Give it a shot if you're looking for the same ... or, at least, don't be afraid to start slow. You have a partner in the land of chill-it-out right here.

See you tomorrow after the Family Run!

No comments:

Post a Comment