Sunday, March 11, 2012

Luck of the Irish In Advance

Okay, I'm not Irish, but I am lucky ... Can I just tell you how very happy I am that I did not have a long run scheduled for today?! In an overly dramatic statement: Could anything stink more than having to get up early to run on a day where you lose an hour of sleep?! Whew! Dodged that unfortunate timing!! And, it all happened just a week before St. Patrick's Day. I am not ignoring that completely improbable and very unapplicable stroke of luck.

It's also raining today which is making for a very low-key, comfy Rest Day! I need it after yesterday ... while the run went really well, my knee muscles started hating on me right when I hit mile 8. On last week's 8-mile run, it didn't act up until mile 7. Crossing fingers and saying prayers that that trend continues. I can handle a mile. I get concerned beyond that!

In the meantime, as promised, I washed my smelly clothes and was all ready to retire the purple jacket for the next couple of seasons. Daphne had other plans:
"It's going away?! Nooooooooo ..."
In other news, I am getting so stoked in the produce aisle at the grocery store because a wide variety of fruits are coming around in my price range (thank you, Aldi)!! Wahoo!! (And, those fruits make me think of summer ... and the pool ... ahhhh ... it's coming!!!) Anyway, we went to the store yesterday to get some apples and oranges (yummy, but feeling a bit ho-hum right now). Well, weren't we suprised to also get green and red grapes, blueberries, strawberries and peaches! We made great use of them at dinner last night:
Mouth-watering goodness!
I am stunned the blueberries and strawberries were any good, but they were delicious! Maybe the crazy-warm winter sped up time frame for growing? Like I know ... Anyway, if they're good now, I can't imagine how they're going to be in a couple of months!! We sprinkle a few chopped walnuts on the top and dove in! Mmm ... Mmm ... Mmmmmmm ...

Speaking of nuts, I have to share my latest finding that I totally stole from a friend. I was at her house, she made us salads, and she sprinkled toasted almond slices on top. While fabulous, I, of course, assumed there was an oil component to the toasting or that it took more time that I'd be willing to give. Wrong and Wrong! Just sprinkle them in the pan with nothing else, and heat them on the stove top until they're to your toasty desire. Delicious! AND, I'd just read in Self magazine that adding toasted nuts to your salad is a great way to spice up the boring. Or, something like that. Anyway, they're simply fabulous and -- even better -- so easy!!
I make extra for multiple salads. These toasty little goodies have
a more pronounced taste than if you don't toast them, so you do
not need many to make a big impact.
With that, it's on with the continuation of Rest Day ... it seems Elly has already staked out her post for the day:
"I am simply exhausted after reading about those exercises
next to me."
 See you after the morning run!

No comments:

Post a Comment