Saturday, March 17, 2012

All About the Green

It's all about the green today, but I don't mean from finding cash. Happy St. Patrick's Day! For the past three years, I've started off the celebrations (as they are) with the annual 5K, but I opted to pass this year because I have a 10-mile training run scheduled tomorrow. Doesn't it figure that the year the 5K lands on St. Pat's I don't do it? Oh well. I give a nod as to where this whole running venture began:
Look how excited I was! That happens to be hiding the major
bout of the nerves I was having right then!!
Thirty minutes later, I was hitting mile 3!
I was seriously tired. Totally thought I was
Going. To. Die. So glad I didn't.
Here we are three years later, and I'm 4 weeks away from Half Marathon number three. Who knew?!

To that end, I've kept those 13 POINT ONE (oh yeah! can't miss that part!) miles in mind while planning our St. Pat's tradition of making-everything-we-eat-that-can-be-made-green green day! It's fun!
We started the day with green eggs (remnants in the foreground;
too yummy to remember to leave some for a pic!), green grapes
and green Fiber One pancakes. Mmm ... mmm ... mmm ...
Of course, the milk had to be green ...
... as did the peanut butter at lunch! Looks gross, tastes fab!
For a lunch side ... pistachios!! I do so love these, and so good
for you!! Great heart food!! Yummy and nutritious =
Double bonus!! Taking off the shells kinda blows, but oh well.
After lunch, the fam got their annual Shamrock Shakes from
McDonald's. I didn't get one because I don't like them. I did,
however, choke a little bit sucking some of the whipped cream
off of PC3's. Yup, straight to the back of the throat. Whoopsie!
Moving right along to dinner (did we do anything but eat
today?!) ... more greens, natural or otherwise! Roasted
asparagus Mmmmmmm, faker mashed potatoes colored
green, and I had chicken quesadilla while the fam had
gross corned beef. I'm glad they enjoy; I really, really don't.
(Normally on St. Pat's, I get artichokes, but do you know how
full of fiber those are? And, do you know how inconvenient,
shall we say, it is to load up on fiber at dinner before a long
morning run? It's a bad deal, so I had to pass this year!)
We had fruit salad on the side featuring the green family ... grapes,
Granny Smiths and kiwi! Strawberries and blueberries were
thrown in for yumminess. It was also nice to give the eyes a
break from the green by now anyway!
Q: What happens when you put a couple of drops of green food
color in your lemonade? A: The same thing that happens when
you put it in your milk! Hooray! (And, there's the corned beef
back there ... not much I can do to make that green ...)
For dessert, we have these Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches.
They're a super yummy treat if you've never had one. They'll have
to wait for a bit, though, because after indulging in the plate of
corned beef and potatoes, the full fam looks like this right now:
*groan*
In fairness to him, he comes by that look honestly ... here's mine
after my first Half Marathon. I'm a bit pained. Happy, but pained!
Just like PC3!
So, that was how the combination of Rest Day and St. Patrick's Day was spent around here! It was a good one!! See you after the morning run! We're back to the double digits ... here ... we ... go ...!! (Do you like how I made that look exciting? I have to be honest, I'm a bit torn between excited and annoyed that I have to start foregoing a lot of early morning sleep!! *sigh!*)

No comments:

Post a Comment