Friday, March 9, 2012

Full Circle

I was making lunch for myself today and realized, "I'm tired." Not sleepy tired, and not tired of running. I'm tired of making my lunch. I even made "yuck" and "ick" noises while swishing around the Romaine. (I know ... Join the boo-hoo chorus!) As I was washing my latest batch of lettuce, I was acutely aware that it was just one thing among many that needed washing or preparing just to make my lunch. But, while I most definitely did not feel like making my salad today, I knew, deep down, that it was the best thing for me in the moment. So, as dramatic as it sounds, I dug deep. And, I made a super-yummy delicious meal. The pay off was worth the effort. It usually is.

Sound familiar? That seems to be the theme of my running adventures. No matter how I'm feeling, if I've written on the calendar that it's a running day, then it's a running day. Period. Dig deep, and do it. It's funny how I've worked so hard to understand the lessons of my life so I can apply them to running, but it never really occurred to me that I would one day apply what I've learned from running to another aspect of my life (and, you can bet I never thought I would ponder a running lesson while doing something like washing lettuce!). The lessons are starting to swing around full circle ... who knew?

There are going to be many more salads and meals I don't feel like making just as sure as there are going to be many more runs I grumble about heading out on. I have to remember that it can't be about what I feel in that grumbly moment. I have to keep my eye on the end game.

Let's see if I can remember this early tomorrow morning before my long run! In the meantime, let's check out the creature that doesn't spend a lot of time worrying about anything but being in the moment!
Ahh ... sun bathing. That's a great way to spend some time
when you're a hound with nothing to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment