Wednesday, March 28, 2012

"Life Isn't Always Pretty" ... But, It's Good!

Have I mentioned that this running thing tends to really cramp my sleep-later desire? Just sayin' ...

I don't think I was quite awake this morning when I headed out, but that's okay. I think I spend much of the first mile or two a little out of it adjusting both my brain and body to realize, "Oh, this really is what I'm doing right now." Seems weird, but it is part of my daily process!!

While in that mode, I noticed a lot of air traffic this morning. Everywhere I looked, planes!
I kept thinking, "I bet they're covering 5 miles a whole lot faster
than I'm about to ..." The plane is almost right in the middle of
the picture, but if you can't see it, that's okay because the sky
was awesome, don't you think?
Okay, so the run as a whole was pretty uneventful. No money found. No critters (except that dead opossum from the other day? Yeah, it's still there along with a new, predictable development: permeating odor). Big hills conquered. Down hills most appreciated. Lots of people going to work.

I will note that a whole mess of people going to work got a great show today (and they are all welcome). Check it out:
Mere seconds after the injury. It's like those
pictures of seeing a baby only minutes old.
But, nothing like that at all.
Pop Quiz Time. I got this from:
a) Tripping on the sidewalk because I was looking sideways for money
b) Falling in the street while avoiding a car because I was in hot pursuit of a penny
c) Taking a misstep off a curb when stopping to say hi to another friend out running

If you picked (a), I totally understand and myself have wondered how that's not yet happened.

If you chose (b), I need to mention that I have standards for what I'll pursue. Those standards probably seem pretty low, though, so I do get it.

If you picked (c), you are a winner! I had just made it up a very long hill and was pretty pleased with the effort when I saw a friend out running and turning my direction. Because I was about to turn away from her direction, I stopped just long enough to say hello and exchange a quick hug. I stopped, my foot slipped right off the curb, and down I went! Funny how these things happen -- and, so thankful it was just a slip and fall, not an ankle roll (which it very easily could have been)!

We were at a 4-way stop with all ways full of commuters, so most of them got a good going-to-work giggle. I understand because it was a very sudden splat! And, it was quickly clear I wasn't hurt, so there you go. I received an email from aforementioned friend who said remarked that it was such an "us" moment. She wrote: "If you hadn't fallen, I probably would have. Who needs polished runners for people to eyeball on their way to work. It is more fun to see 2 friends run, fall, hug and run on!!!!!! Life isn't always pretty."

Well said, my friend, well said!

Five more miles down ... not many more to go!! More tomorrow ... hopefully with both feet firmly on the ground!

1 comment:

  1. Running fully conscience is overated. People who do that acutally have a love for running. I do not. If my brain and body were fully aware of the running I had planned in the morning, I believe they would put all systems in a lockdown. Running half asleep allows me to make it almost home before my brain and muscles wake up and say, "oh man, she did it again!" This gives me my 2 goals of running which are staying strong to enjoy my kids and staying in my current pant size.

    ReplyDelete