Saturday, March 10, 2012

Conclusions

Typically, the night before a long run, I toss and turn and incessantly check the clock to make sure I don't miss the alarm. (I once read in Runner's World magazine that the night of sleep that really impacts your run is the one you had two nights prior, not the night before ... I can attest to that!). But, by some miracle, I slept great last night. In fact, I double dipped and had two great nights in a row. It seems, however, Aaron took one for the team and slept very poorly last night because he didn't want me to miss the alarm! (Thank you, Pit Crew leader, but I hope that's not a duty you carry!)

The great night's sleep helped put some spring in my early morning step, and I am always grateful for such a beginning! I noticed a couple of things while out there today:

One: With a more rested brain, I could actually focus on my thoughts vs. just having them swirl in my head floating in and out of different states of conciousness. It was nice to be very in tune with what I was thinking. I was also able to fully understand that one of the things I like most about running is that time to just think and just be. That's not something we always get to have, so I embrace it out there.

Two: My more rested brain was also more in tune with the ribbons of road that made up my route, and I became very aware that for every down hill I enjoyed, it had a countpart. I mentally mapped the run as I went along and kept coming to the same conclusion: "Yup. I'm about to run down, but I'm also going to have run that same stretch up. Oh, but after I run that up, I get to run down ..." And, so forth. I tend to strive for balance in my life, but I have to say that I'd gladly take more down hills than up when I run. Just. Saying.

My ultimate conclusion was that whomever spouted out that "I walked to school up hill both ways" thing has some pants on fire. Then I thought about that line in A Christmas Story when one of the kids announces, "You're full of beans and so's your old man!" during a dispute about whether or not a tongue will stick to a frozen metal pole. While I was not pondering doing such a thing, the statement was applicable as far as I was concerned! It also made me giggle. Giggling while running up hill is not easy in case you are wondering.

The run went great, nine in the bank, and on with the day! Part of the day will most definitely include taking care of this ultra-smelly stack:
It's getting a little warm for the purple jacket ... but I do so
love it even when I make it smelly ...
On to take on the rest of the weekend! And, if I listen close, I hear REST DAY calling me tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment