Friday, September 30, 2011

Friday and Fun Food!

It's Friday, which means it's Rest Day!! Yahoo!! I plan to take full advantage of that and chill as much as possible, but not before telling you about our highly successful experiment in the kitchen last night!

I finally pried my mind open and tried to make sweet potato fries! You need to know, I *hate* sweet potatoes. So does Aaron. The kids have never tried them at home because we hate them. So, naturally, I would try sweet potato fries. That's Nancy-logic at its finest. It went like this:
There they are. I had no idea how to pick them at the store, so
I had to actually read the directions that are provided by their
price sign. They don't look too promising given I can't stand them.
The conversation went like this:

Aaron: I thought you hated sweet potatoes.
Nancy: I do.

And then I got this look from him. It's his
"You're a really interesting lady, and I don't
really get you right now" look.
In an effort to make these as good as possible, I cut them quite
thin (compared to the all of the recipes I found that said to make them
into big ol' wedges ... gross. That just increases the chances that
they will taste like sweet potatoes ...)
I tossed them in a little more than a measured
tablespoon of canola oil, then I ground these
spices over the top.
Into the toaster oven they went for 40 minutes at
400 degrees. I was skeptical to say the very least.
I have been a FOOL all of these years to have not tried these!!
They were DE-LI-CIOUS!! Every one of us wanted more! Too
bad I made a small batch in case they were gross! Oh, and that
white stuff is a mayo mixture ... mayo, lemon, basil, garlic ... in
case they needed flavor masking. They didn't! No need for that
dressing mixture in the future!
Super score!!!
And that, my friends, is a huge success in the kitchen!! The longer they baked, the less they tasted like strong sweet potato. You could taste it if you really, really thought about it in our outcome, but it was more in the background. I'm very glad to have rolled the dice to see what happened here because what a fun side these are ... yummy and chock full of good stuff for you!! Have something yummy today ... it's Friday, so might I suggest some Sweet Potato FRIES on Friday! See you tomorrow after the morning run!

1 comment:

  1. I hate to say it, but they were YUMMY. Aaron

    ReplyDelete