Sunday, September 18, 2011

What an Event!

Last year was the inaugural run for the Susan G. Komen Race For the Cure here. I was ready to go until we had the sky-to-ground lightening moments prior to the start of the run. I was very disappointed to not participate, but I chose to leave. I was one of very few. (That felt really weird, by the way -- being one of the very few to leave -- I mean ... major lightening ...) So, was I surprised when rain was forecast for this year's event? Um, no ... BUT, we got a break and what an event it was!
As of Thursday, there were more than 4,000 people registered for
this event! I was very proud to be there and to have the Pit Crew
behind me!
In the background, you can see the sound stage for the emcees and
for the jazzercize people who came to warm-up and fire-up the
crowd. They did a great job!! Then it was time to line up ... timed
runners first, untimed runners next (that's where I was ...you had
to pay extra to be timed ... me? Pay to be timed? Hahahaha!
Decision to not be timed made!) and then walkers. With Melissa
Etheridge's "I Run For Life" booming from the sound stage,
it was hard (for me) to not be a bit overcome with emotion.
I'm on my way! (lower right) I was reading the sign on that girl's
back, and she's playing with her bag cords and ear buds. That
resulted in the following juke-and-jive ...
Good thing we warmed up with some jazzercize so I could have my
groove on! By the way, check out all of the people behind me ... and
they just kept coming! We have 10 pictures of the crowd progression.
I will spare you, but promise to visualize it! (Ha!)
This is closing in on Mile 3. The Pit Crew
happened upon a spot where they saw me,
so I not only got cheers, I got a high 5! YEAH!
The last stretch was around the football field.
Look close, and you can see the legs of Pit
Crew #2 and #3 ... I saw them on the side and
pulled them in the mix to join me to the finish.
I probably wasn't supposed to. But, I did.
While the Pit Crew chief was told not to go
on to the field to cut across to the finish line
(do they not understand the picture obsession
of the runner? Ha!), we three crossed the finish
line together! On to breakfast for those not full
from Pit Crew snacks!
We went to our favorite bagel place where I
found a penny! Booyah! Running pays!
From the bagel place, it was onward to the ice
cold Diet Coke ... mmmm ... perfect with my
everything bagel for a refuel!
I am so glad it didn't storm, and I am so glad to have been a part of this. I'm thankful for health that allows me to choose every day if I'm running or not. I'm thankful for the strength, body and mind, to continue to go out and hit the ground running on days I want to and on days I don't. I'm thankful to have been ready for this event and to have been a part of something much, much bigger than I. Today, perhaps even more than any other, I am so very thankful to have ever started running in the first place.

And, I'm so very thankful for all who have been behind me through every training mile, through every running event. It's never, ever been about winning. It's always been about so much more. And, that's what makes the endeavor worth it and the support cherished.

No comments:

Post a Comment