Monday, September 12, 2011

Ready-Set-Reset

You know that feeling you get after the big event happens that your world has revolved around for so long? That, "Man, it's over!" feeling? I think I hit that Sunday morning and am having some residuals today. I spent a good deal of time yesterday reflecting on the big run itself -- the good, the bad and the smelly -- and am just about ready to put it to rest in order to reset my brain, my body and my goals.

In reflection, I am so so so so so glad I pushed through the huge slump in which I'd found myself back in May -- the very slump that made me seriously contemplate not signing up for this Half. I dipped back in to that same internal source of perseverance when I was on Saturday's mile 9 and I literally said to myself: "Forty more minutes of feeling how this feels is nothing compared to how awesome this will feel when it's finished." It proved true.

During my reflections, I went through pictures from the weekend and kept getting drawn back to what is most definitely my very favorite one of the bunch. I know I already posted it, but here it is again:
My smile is a culmination of being ecstatic for being steps away from the finish, knowing I'm so loved that the Pit Crew is in the middle of the street yelling for me, and a bit of delirium. But, it's the looks on the faces of my Crew that I cannot look stop looking at! What a huge success of an event for all of us to have been such a big part!!

Back at home, the alpha cat, who likes to be in the middle of everything, decided to give me her best impression of how it must have felt to cross the finish line:
I told her to quit being a poser and straighten herself up.

"Mommy, I'm so sorry, forgive me ... but don't be surprised
when I smack you around while you sleep with my huge paws."
So, while today would normally start Rest Week (wahoo!!), I'm still contemplating the best kind of schedule to both recoup and to stay loose for the weekend's run. (What a tool to have signed up for another run at the end of a Rest Week!) I've decided to play it by ear and let it work itself out. I have a goal of two short runs before the weekend event, and that'll be plenty. Besides, I found a penny in the parking lot when I was at the grocery store this morning. No running required ... hmmm ... perhaps I should rethink this whole thing ... (HA!)

In the meantime, I have elected to partake in a scrumptious treat that I've not had in many, many, many months -- Ta-Da!
I had one last night as the celebration finale ... Mmmm ... There are 3 more in the fridge ... triple mmmmm ... (they're the individual ones, people, not 3 big ones!). These are going down the hatch this week then will likely stay on the store shelves 'til after the next big one ... which could be in April ... stay tuned ...

No comments:

Post a Comment