Monday, September 19, 2011

Rest Quest

You know that a Rest Week has been on my radar since finishing the Half, but last week wasn't the right timing with another run on deck. That worked out great because I had a great run yesterday, but this morning, my legs are telling me that some down time is needed! SO, with that, I claim this the week of rest! (How cool is it to just claim your own week? I think it's super-cool!)

The week is not without its duties, though, and priority number one is making a final call on these shoes:
So pretty and purple ...
Here's the scoop -- I've been wearing New Balance shoes to run since I began. I've always really liked them and had great experience with durability, comfort, etc. The thing I hate is that by the time I'm ready for a new pair, the ones I'm replacing have been changed just enough to warrant a new shoe model number which translates into personal fear that the shoe itself is changed just enough to no longer suit my needs. And, it's not like shoes are cheap, so something that seems so easy quickly becomes complicated. And annoying!

For two and a half years, my fears were unfounded. Until this past Spring. I bought this pair, and they were awful for running (even though they are "running" shoes; should have been called "pants on fire"). They're my brand, they're the "next" model redo, and they're so pretty! But, I got them home, and it was kind of like being in high school when the best looking guy in school asks you out, then you go out with him and all you can think is, "Ewww ..." Yup, same with the shoes. Drat!

Within two weeks, I got a different pair which weren't too much better and required almost two months of breaking in. I was just stubborn enough to make it happen, but they were more worn than I would have liked when I wore them for last week's Half. I should have done something about it, but I had a hard time justifying it with a brand new pair in my closet coupled with my fear of getting another new pair with the same issues. Running Drama!

SO, the shoes I've been using to run are now retired to walking, and I will use the time this week to see if my pretty purple shoes can be broken in well enough to run. Elly will like it because we'll still go walk (the girl still needs her mani-pedis, you know). So, we'll see. I'm betting I'm about to find myself at the shoe store, though ... double drat ... If so, I'm taking a Diet Coke with me ...

No comments:

Post a Comment