Thursday, September 8, 2011

Let's Talk Time

By no intentional planning, I will be starting my big run exactly 48 hours from now where I sit! How cool is that? It's particularly cool that I feel better today, too ... not as much of the allergy-pretending-to-be-a-cold symptoms going on, so I am far more hopeful that race morning will contain just the normal got-up-earlier-than-I'd-like grumblies and no more debates about eyeball tears vs. sweat.

So, yesterday, the email came in letting us know when to pick up our packets and reminding us of the schedule. Check it out:

Registered: Check!
10K: Not doing that!
Half Start: Check!
Awards: HEYYYYY!
As I reviewed it, I thought it was really nice of them to wait around and present me my award even after the scheduled Award time. HA! In other words, I will, indeed, still be running when the award presentations happen.

Now, I'm not going to lie; when I read the schedule in my stuffed-up-but-run-down state, I was a wee bit demoralized. I mean, it's not like I'm an award contender (duh) nor have I ever even thought so. But, man! Smack!

That's okay, though. I wrote an email to Aaron to this effect, and he said: "They (the awards) start when you cross the finish line and we start celebrating your GREATNESS!" I could not possibly ask for more than that.

I will tell you, too, that my lapse of confidence was very, very short lived, and I'm certain it wouldn't have phased me had I felt completely myself. In fact, it was less than an hour later when I could picture myself thanking the organizer of the schedule letting him know I appreciate how he'll wait around for me to present me with my award. Either that, or tell him to bite me.

During my May 10K, the Pit Crew had
time to go to a coffee shop where they
had a great time!
Since this whole running thing began 3 years ago, I had to figure out how to make time, basically, irrelevant, or I would have never stuck to it. I use time to understand how long certain distances will take so I can plan my day. I use it to know when I need to get up and run so as not to have the entire family waiting on me and wondering when I'm coming back. I use it to let the Pit Crew know when to expect me to finish an event so they know if they have time to wander off for a coffee and treat before heading to the finish. I use it to plan. I do not use it to compete. Being realistic about that from the get go was my ultimate key to success.

So, like my shirt says, I will get there when I get there, but I will get there. Sweaty eyeballs and all.

1 comment:

  1. We will have our own awards ceremeony!!! Pizza BABY! The Pit Crew Chief

    ReplyDelete