Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Body Resting; Brain Still Going

As committed, Elly and I went for a good walk this morning (where, by the way, I found dos pennios ... yeah!!). It does feel good to slow down for a bit ... and Elly sure likes the time to sniff weird stuff ... I have to admit, though, that it's a morning like this where we're going slow and I can feel my legs thanking me for the break where I find myself having to actually ask myself, "Did I really just run really far really recently?" It's amazing how quickly it can feel like I'm not capable of running even one mile much less double digits. That just tells me I'm in full rest mode ... and I have no problem with that!

But, it's also that mindset that can allow me to lose a lot of mental momentum which quickly translates physically. So, I spent the walk pondering a plan for next week. The goal is to maintain the weekly long runs between 6 and 8 miles with shorter runs filling in the other running days. I had a similar goal after my Half last year, and I blew it entirely. Frankly, I didn't even feel bad about it. I just slipped into a 3-mile run pattern and stayed there until April when I registered for a run longer than 3 miles. I want it different this year, though, so I'll just start that way next week instead of excusing myself for a few weeks with the intention of building back up. We all know that path paved by good intentions!

So, it's onward with Rest Week, and I'm using every minute of it on purpose because it'll be over before I know it! In the meantime, here's something I did with a little bit of my extra time this morning. I studied my cat's eye. Take a look ... how completely cool is that?!
Take a little time today to investigate a detail, and enjoy! On with the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment