Friday, January 1, 2016

Last Night and Today

Today’s Numbers: Nancy's Total Movement Mileage: .7 (running: 0; walking: .7; biking: 0) Elly's miles: .7  Money Found For Food Bank: $13.71
 
Happy 2016!! Ready or not!!

I hope you rang in the New Year in your most perfect way!! I, for one, am not the biggest fan of New Year's Eve in terms of it being a huge deal. The last time I was a part of participating in making it a huge deal was with Aaron almost two decades ago, and that was the last time for that! Hours of waiting for a table at a restaurant, lines out the door/tickets sold out for movies and a party where everyone but myself and someone else was drinking to whatever degree. Yeah ... no thanks.

One of my very favorite New Years was one I spent just after I graduated college. I was alone in my apartment packing to move to a new city for a new job. I remember watching the Arsenio Hall show and moving about my boxes and upheaved apartment things. It was quiet, it was peaceful, and it was pretty perfect.

Of course, New Years has evolved to loving being with just the four of us. It didn't stay completely quiet, though, as Pit Crew #2 picked up on the 'fact' that NYE is supposed to be awesome when she was very little. So as not to disappoint, we did come up with some fun stuff to do at home to make it seem more awesome than it is. Some of those traditions have stuck including our appetizer dinner while watching "Happy New Year, Charlie Brown" ...
... and, at some point in the evening, we have a scavenger hunt for the kids. We tend to find a few post-Christmas items in the 50-75%-off arena for them to find. This year, they graduated to their finale prize being a $5 gift card to a gas station (we spoil them, I know), and we found ourselves hilarious putting them in these fake-out boxes:
Everyone made it to midnight (barely for some of us!), and I got my New Year's hope of sleeping in this morning!!! That's right! There was NO plan to run today, and I took full advantage of it!! When I finally peeled myself out of bed, I made us these cinnamon rolls with homemade cream cheese icing ...
... a la Trim Healthy Mama principles with sugar subs and almond flour plus baking blends. They were really tasty just a little dry. But, I already have ideas on how to take care of that for the next round. They were an excellent accompaniment to our viewing of the Tournament of Roses parade (which is my very favorite holiday parade)!

Our day yesterday and today has been chock full of activity including much crafting, game playing and tv/movie viewing. PC#2 and I stole a few moments to get out for a wee walk this evening which felt completely refreshing!! Elly loved it, too:
We are in front of this bush in the pic above; who knew the
camera would light correct to that degree?
We're all pretty full on a whole lot of good and need another day to recover!! My sights aren't set on running until Sunday, so here's to another day to take a break from that while I indulge in the continued activity!!

My best to you as we start it all off!! Ready? Here ... we ... goooooo!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment