Saturday, January 23, 2016

The Truth Of the Matter

Today’s Numbers: Nancy's Total Movement Mileage: 45.8 (running: 45.1; walking: .7; biking: 0) Elly's miles: 18.9  Money Found For Food Bank: $21.76
 
So, I won today in that Aaron accompanied me on my outing. He won because, even though it was 20 degrees, there was no wind chill. WooHoo!! In truth, neither of us was particularly excited about getting out of the warm bed to get on out there, so these mini victories felt even bigger today!

As it turned out, it was an outing of ups and downs. The down? Okay ... So, there we were a little more than half-way through our route when we passed some dude strolling on a sidewalk. He was well into his 50s dressed in a non-descript, unzipped Winter coat, jeans and carrying a backpack. I think he was even at a bus stop, but I can't be sure. Anyway, Aaron and I were about 10 feet past him when he called out to us. No, it wasn't to say hello or good morning; it was to say, "At that pace, you'll burn more calories walking."

Um ... excuse me? Aaron somewhat acknowledged him while I just kept on going. I was a little stunned that there was an unsolicited evaluation process going on much less that it was worth offering.

I first asked Aaron for clarification of what the guy said, and I followed it with asking exactly how that translated. Aaron said he was probably coming from the angle that it is more difficult to sustain a slower walk than it is a jog (which I happen to agree with because there's not as much momentum to keep you going ... that's based on how it feels, not that I know anything physiologically).

And, then all I could think was, "That guy sucks!"

In moments of lunacy and/or disbelief over what someone says or does, I can always look at Aaron, note the moment, ask him to be funny about it and he does. It goes like this: "Aaron. Dude with the running commentary. Be funny. GO." Then he launches into some deadpanned, sarcastic imitation of (or response to) the person turning their moronic statements into something that's supposed to sound like the most wise words ever spouted. In this case, it went something like, "Hey, guy we didn't ask and don't know and knows nothing about what we're doing or what goals we have, you are so right that what we're doing has absolutely no cardiac benefit whatsoever or that, by the way, we actually care about what you're saying." And, he went on for a bit making me kind of giggle. About a quarter mile later when I'd decided I wasn't finished bagging on the guy, we both joined in on some pretty snarky stuff that need not be shared but made me double over laughing at Aaron.

At least there was that.

This moment reminded me of last Spring when I was at a stop light at Mile 8 of 10 when I a guy decided to tell me, "I used to run, but I hurt my knee and had to stop, but I guess if I were going your pace, I could totally get back into running, huh?"

I. Mean. Seriously. I have to say I find it unbelievable that there is any unsolicited commentary or otherwise input from anyone ever. Mama never taught 'mind your own biz?' I didn't so much take offense to either situations as I just thought about how rude people can be -- especially today's guy: The guy who had no idea Aaron is medically not supposed to run so must walk (walks like a boss, I might add). The guy who had no idea that walking did not serve my purpose for my upcoming goals. The guy who had no business getting into ours. The guy I'm pretty certain was waiting for a bus instead of walking his own ass somewhere. Oh ... wait ... I might be starting to slip into aforementioned snark zone. I'll stop there before getting too carried away.

I guess the moral of the story is I'm a huge fan of (a) cheering others and (b) keeping your mouth shut if you're not going to cheer. The. End.

In addition to the laughs we extracted from that moment of human ridiculousness, other pieces of the run were excellent! The recent snow assuredly covered some money finds, but it also seems to prevent people from wanting to linger and/or stoop for money they drop:
I'll never understand such a stash being
left, but I'll always rejoice in finding it!
And, we saw itty bitty birdie feet again!!
This was my favorite moment, though ...
... when we happened upon that squirrel sitting in the snow going to town on the muffin wrapper it found! It was cute as could be, and it seemed completely oblivious to its audience until the very second I was ready to snap the pic. So, I present: Squirrel With Muffin Wrapper In Motion.

Enjoy.

And, that was our outing. For its ups and its downs, it was good to be together:
It was particularly good to be together in the car where Aaron
could simultaneously cool down and warm up. You need only
be a human who has ever been out in the cold to get that!
Tomorrow calls for Rest! (Yahoo!!) Enjoy the rest of your Saturday, and don't let the fools of the world get you down! As Aaron noted about today's commentator: "It says more about him than it does about us." --> TRUTH.

No comments:

Post a Comment