Friday, January 29, 2016

Relax and Run Free

Oh, how I love FRIDAY!! I particularly love Friday when I earmark it to do things I really need or want to do and it actually turns out that way!!

I just sent Aaron an email to let him know that upon his arriving home from work, the Oooooing and Ahhhhhing may commence about the newfound cleanliness of those corners of the kitchen that we normally don't even notice. Let's just say I found one area to be just as disturbingly disgusting as that once-every-decade clean-out under the seats of the car. I couldn't even take a picture of it, it was that nasty.

During my morning flurry around the house cleaning this and picking up that, I kept thinking about my run tomorrow morning. I was thinking about how I'm not at all looking forward to getting up early but that I am looking forward to striking up a longer distance. I kept debating, though, about taking Elly. I really, really want to take her. Between the decent weather and the fact that I'm not needing to push to any particular degree is the perfect combo to have her join me. But, I know I'm getting more cautious about her going longer distances because they can tire her. I don't even know if that's bad, but I do factor it in. (Do we really ever know when a hound is actually tired? Hmmmm ...) I go back and forth, though, because I always watch her while we're out, and she's more than fine in these cooler temperatures. And, she's happy happy happy.

I was very much leaning toward taking her, and then I opened the package of the medal I'm earning which solidified my decision:
Umm ... yes. The girl is going. I mean, look at this!!!!
That might be the best medal ever.

The run benefits the National Mill Dog Rescue. While Elly wasn't a part of a mill, she had her own troubles. We're thankful her previous owners took her to the Humane Society where we could find her. And, if not for her, I'm not sure I would have kept up with running to this extent. I am forever thankful for that connection she and I have. How could I not take her tomorrow no matter how long that means our run will take? I signed up for it because of her, after all. Plus, it feels like the best way to honor her. There will be a time when I know she shouldn't go certain distances. As that time isn't now, I should probably just relax and let her enjoy.

I might even join her in an afternoon nap; she's full of good ideas like that.

So, she's going. And, I can't wait for our adventure together. I'll check in tomorrow and let you know about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment