Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Wrapping Up the Unplanned

Today’s Numbers: Nancy's Total Movement Mileage: 59.8 (running: 59.1; walking: .7; biking: 0) Elly's miles: 32.9  Money Found For Food Bank: $30.25

Did you hear the one about the dog that ran the Half Marathon and came in 7th place? Yeah, for real. And, no, it wasn't Elly (duh). Check it out:
Photo source and Runner's World article here.
This canine, who resides in Alabama, wandered to the start of the Half Marathon fundraising event when the race started, and she took off with everyone! She finished the entire course in 1:32. Seriously, that bandit dog is a bad ass.

Speaking of hounds, mine would like to report that she finished 14 miles this week over the course of three consecutive days. So, there.
"Booyah. And, look at me, standing in the
middle of this morning's run."
We had a good little outing this morning. I meant it to be a 3-miler, but, with no route mapped, it went just over 4. I admit to my legs doing some screaming as they would have appreciated a rest, but once I finally figured out my schedule for the rest of the week, running today made more sense. So, off we went on a sunny, no wind morning! That lack of wind plus sun made the 19 degrees almost feel warm!

I'm looking forward to a couple of upcoming things. First, there's Saturday's virtual run; who doesn't love a run where there's a bit of bling at the end? (Just ask that Half Marathon dog -- they gave her a medal!) Second, the training schedule will be nice to give me a little structure which translates into not having to do a whole lot of thinking. And, last, there is a new pair of shoes in my very near future. The ones I bought a month ago are fine, but they are not double-digit-miles fine. I'll keep them as the 'bridge pair' when a really good one wears out but I don't yet have new ones, but I need a new pair before getting too deep into February.

Perhaps there will be a shoe shopping trip from my Valentine ... And, yes, that's totally awesome to me. It's a gift to Aaron, too, really, because then he won't have to hear about my feet hurting from something I'm totally choosing to do. Everyone wins!!

Like I said, this run wrapped up the last few weeks of the unplanned outings or otherwise not-tagged-with-a-goal runs. I love the freedom of these stretches, but they don't come without the challenge of figuring out how to stay motivated! I think I did it right this time, though. Both a goal of how many days a week I would run and wrapping the whole thing up with a run to push me a bit before starting over with a schedule was just the right combo!

Do what you need to do to stay motivated in the short run so as to support what you aim for in the long run, and I'll be checking in during these Rest Days!

No comments:

Post a Comment