Sunday, February 1, 2015

What's In a Name? A Little Bit of Everything ...

Change Hounds Progress: Nancy: 94.2  Aaron: 78.5 (b: 65.2; w: 13.3)  Elly: 14.5 Total: 187.2 miles

Yes, it's true: We finally landed on a name for our 2,015 in 2015 challenge!! YEAHHHHH!! Here's how it went down ...

Yesterday afternoon, I looked at Aaron and said, "Seriously. We need a name for this challenge, and I'm totally out of ideas." Aaron threw a few out that I immediately vetoed -- normal in the early stages of brainstorming, don'tcha know -- and, out of the blue, he said, "Change Hounds."

Our official, insider name is actually subtitled. It's: "Change Hounds: Our Amazing Journey." Here's how it breaks down:

Hounds, of course, is our homage to Elly. It is because of her, after all, that this running gig really started.
Elly right after we adopted her in 2008. We changed her life,
so I guess she wanted to return the favor ...
Change has two meanings. The obvious is my prowess for finding it. And, looking for it. And, making my outings more about finding it than actually running. Or, it seems that way.

The second meaning is exactly for the change in our lives running has brought. Aaron did not marry himself a runner nor someone who purposely exercised for the inherent sake of doing so, and I did not marry someone who made exercise an intentional part of his life. We did what we liked and thought fun when it was in front of us, but it wasn't much of a plan. As we got away from the team sports and left to our own, seems-we're-not-doing-anything devices, we decided it was important to come up with something. Running has made a huge difference not just in my own walk through life but in that of our kiddos because they see exercise as a normal and fun thing to plug into life and not a drudgery to cross fingers and hope to avoid as they get older. I love the change of the family trajectory. Everyone wins!

Change is good.

And, then, put the two words together in the Change Hounds order, and it encompasses the many little pieces of this very simple, just-move concept!

Our subtitle? Yeah, follow me on this one ...

Google images didn't fail me for a pic!
As a joke, Aaron threw The Amazing Journey out as a name option. Given we are fans of The Amazing Race, you might think it came from there. Not so much. It's a total poke at another favorite in the reality show genre: The Bachelor/ette. I don't even care if you judge. If you've ever seen it, there are no two, more over-used words than how AMAZING everything is and how much everyone is enjoying the JOURNEY. It's enough to make you puke.

So, Aaron throws it out, and it immediately makes me laugh. It's even funnier because Aaron's miles are mostly on the stationary bike, and mine are ultimately in a big loop ultimately going absolutely nowhere*. We enjoyed the irony.

* Absolutely nowhere. Kind of like the relationships on that show. Frankly, our stationary biking and finish-where-you-start outings go wayyyyyy farther than those relations! Again ... WE WIN!

So, there it is! Change Hounds. I love it!

With that, it is off to get some goods ready to cheer on the Seahawks!! I was going to share some of the recipes I made today, but I realized, duh, they're not yet cooked and some not yet tasted! So, recipes to come this week; right now, it's time to get ready to cheer with my favorite Seahawks fan!!
Enjoy the rest of your weekend whatever you are doing, and I'll see you after the morning run!

No comments:

Post a Comment