Thursday, February 19, 2015

All For the Better

Happy almost-weekend!! I hope good things are on the docket ... staying warm is first on our list!! Yeeeeowwww it's cold out there!! But, tell me ... how is it that the temp hasn't been even close to the above-freezing point since our 5" Monday, but the snow still seems to be slipping away ...
Mother Nature is a tricky one, isn't she? Cool that I took this
out my window and got a great smattering of the screen. We'll
call that: Art.
My cough got way worse overnight last night, and there is nothing more awesome than coughing for almost an hour ... peek-a-boo, 2 a.m.! I saw you! But, we all know I already decided yesterday that the long run this week is to be a long bike because, let's face it, the freezing temperatures are probably doing me a favor forcing me inside instead of pushing it.

In other awesome news, but of the actually awesome variety, check these out:
TA-DA!! I know, you're surprised because I just bought new shoes. You're also surprised because I spent NO time complaining about needing new ones. GROWTH. What it came down to was that they are okay. Not bad, but not great. And, here's the deal: "Not great" is not a ringing endorsement when you run long distances. I decided to stop my normal over-analyzing of the situation, use the shoes I just bought to wear 'every day,' and search for some shoes I had confidence in for the long hauls.

I was stoked to find these Sauconys. You might remember my first run in the brand ... those hot pink goddesses I so loved so very much ...
2013 - Smokin' hot pink shoes. They looked fab!!
... until my toe popped out of the wide mesh!

Man. That hurt bad.
This new pair has two advantages: closer mesh (even though it's not tight, it's closer and sturdier than others) and the under side where the toes hits is much more dense than the lighter shoe varieties. So far, so VERY good. When I finish hacking up my lungs, I shall enjoy taking them for many spins!

I'm not knocking the New Balance as a whole, by the way. Pit Crew #2 has always worn New Balance and has no issue with them. Her toe doesn't even bust through the wide mesh of her model! Shoes are individual in comfort and need, so the issues are about me, not the brand.

In other amazing news, I received the latest email update for April's Half. It's always exciting to get the updates because it just keeps the anticipation buzz going, but this one was particularly awesome because not only was a route change announced, it changed for the better!! You know that Holy Hill deal in the middle where it's 2 miles up hill? GONE!!! The course is completely re-routed and flatter!! I. WILL. TAKE. IT!! That hill was my only hesitation in signing up even though I determined I would not stay away from the course and experience as a whole for just those two miles. But, still, it's a stinker. And, now ... it's outta there!!!!
I did like the scene it set. I did not like
listening to all of the griping around me
while we ran up it! I will most definitely
not miss that!
I will, however, miss the outside tomorrow (in theory; not in reality of the subzero sitch and the cough that needs some chillin'). Fortunately, we have an awesome bike and fun junk on the DVR! Here's to hoping any little bummer you're dealing with has a bright side, and I'll check in after the morning ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment