Sunday, February 8, 2015

Took It For the Team

And, on this Sunday -- where I slept an hour and half later than yesterday, and it felt oh-so-good -- I share with you my latest discovery ...

You know that every now and then, I share a kitchen victory. I don't do so because I have some vast knowledge of nutrition or, frankly, even know what the hell I'm doing most of the time. I keep out on the lookout for healthy swaps and revamped foods because I know it's good for our whole family, but I don't make a huge project out. Like every other aspect of my world, everything you see on any given day is exactly the very best I can do that day. Fortunately, most days now are better than they were a decade ago when the family was much younger and mommy so much more sleep deprived!

That said, I must share with you a total fail. Pay close attention because this is about to spare you a lot of pain. Ready? Here it is:
We were low on the chocolate for my amendment to those Hungry Girl s'mores treats I shared (here). So, at the store, Aaron and I had a quick debate about the different versions of Hershey's syrup I'd not previously noticed. Yes, I'm saying I saw what I knew was good, and I tunnel-visioned without even considering there was a lite or a sugar free variety (both of which exist).

I was righteously hesitant about getting anything different from the original. This 'buy generic when I can' gal is already a bit of a snob about certain things (like crayons must be Crayola because the others flake more than they color; canned green beans must be name brand because off-brand aren't as tasty and are kind of woody, that kind of thing) I certainly don't desire to mess around when it comes to chocolate, for crying out loud, so what was I thinking? I already knew it was good, I'd already done nutrition counts and was happy with them, and I didn't really want to fix what wasn't broken. I should have stuck to my chocolate convictions ...

I looked at the lite variety, and the first difference I found was that it was 45 calories per serving (vs. the original's 50). Please. I blew that one off on the merits of not enough difference. The sugar-free one, though, went down to 15 calories per serving which only perpetuated the should-we-shouldn't-we fight going on in my head. Together, Aaron and I decided to gamble the extra 70 cents (you know that was hard for me!) and give it a shot.

The family result: The sugar free option sucks!! Pit Crew #3's descriptor: Sour. Pit Crew #2 agreed with me that it tastes rancid, like spoiled milk. I had to spit my taste out as did she. And, fast. Aaron worked long and hard to come up with a reason to use it as well as how to explain that it's "not that bad." I don't count that as a vote of confidence.

We were at the store a little bit ago, and you know I remembered to get a bottle of the good stuff. I also remembered I needed a meat tenderizer to continue chicken breast success around here, so, I was walking through the store with a bottle of chocolate and something similar to a hammer. Picture it.

So, when it comes to the chocolate for the s'mores or any other indulgence calling for such a thing, don't let our purchase and subsequent panicked search to rinse out our mouths be in vain! We took it for the team; go for the real deal!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend, and I'll check in after the morning run!

No comments:

Post a Comment