Friday, February 27, 2015

17 Is Better Than 5

Today’s Numbers: Nancy's Total Movement Mileage: 194.8 (running: 101.6; walking: 9.4; biking: 83.8) Money Found For Food Bank: $24.40

2,015 in 2015 Change Hounds progress: Nancy: 194.8 Aaron: 159.15 (b: 134.15; w: 16)  Elly: 29.3 Total: 383.25

It's like this: The forecast for tomorrow morning is 5. Or, 4. Either way, that's without wind. And, the day's high isn't expected to be much better whether or not we actually get the snow/rain/whatever is forecast to start in the afternoon. With that knowledge, I sat staring at the thermometer around noon today and thought, "Well, 17 is much better than 5 ...", and I got ready to run.

Biking this long run needed to not be an option this week. I like the bike, I like the option, but it is just not the same from head to toe. I needed these miles to be outside. So, I took no chances. Besides, this means ... you guessed it ... sleeping in tomorrow!!! I already can't wait. Cozy covers ... kitties crowding me ... nothing on the morning agenda ... OH. Wait. Running ... back to it ...

Okay. So, it was cold. Quite cold. Thank goodness for layers and for headbands used for scarves/wind blockers. And, thank goodness I wasn't a total stupid head and that I actually managed to stretch out pretty well because the cold was just begging my muscles to contract. But, I'm a step ahead of you, cold! Take that!

I don't manage blocking the cold and/or wind from my face very well. I try, but I get irritated pretty fast if I can't breathe fresh air and my face gets overly hot from my breath blowing back on myself, blah blah. So, my face blockage was limited, but I did what I could when running into any breeze. Right near the end of the run, I took this picture for the sole purpose of seeing if my upper lip was moveable while numb:
The verdict: Not really. It's totally folded
under because it's trying to stay warm or
is otherwise simply immobile. "Hey, Nancy,
how'd you lose your lip?" "Well, I run ..."
It was a really good run all things considered. From a week on the bike (prior to this one) to still having a wee bit of lingering phlegm (which I'm certain was actually protecting my throat by coating it now and then) to a completely different time and circumstance to run, I was very pleased with every aspect of this outing because I now don't have to do it tomorrow. I even ran up every, single hill when I predicted I'd at least bail on the last one. Nope, not even that one. I got 'em all done!

And, while I was pleased with the run, someone was stoked that I came home:
There's nothing quite like an
Elly love attack!
With this little switch-a-roo, I will now slide into the weekend ready for whatever the weather is going to bring! I'll start by hanging out by the fire ... may your launch into the weekend be a cozy one, and I'll check in tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment