Tuesday, February 4, 2014

We Have Arrived!!

Today’s Numbers: Nancy's Days Run: 24 Nancy's 2013 Mileage: 67.3 Elly's 2013 Mileage: 43 Money Found For Food Bank: $8.93

I wasn't going to talk about this at all, but then I figured how could I not because it perfectly exemplifies exactly where I draw my main outlook on life ...

Yesterday was spent moving my dad into a care center as he has a progressive disease that is taking its toll. The gift I have is that he's still dad ... witty and funny and fun. Through all that has been happening over these last years, I've seen him frustrated, but I have yet to see him give up. At all. So, it should have been no surprise to me (and, it wasn't) when I pushed his wheelchair over the threshold of the center and heard him announce, "We have arrived!!" He did so with the same cheery, "Let's do this!" tone and attitude he has always demonstrated. Obstacles be damned, I have always seen him make the very best of every, single experience.
Me and my dad a handful of years back ...
The main theme of what he continues to instill in me -- whether he knows it not -- is that most of life is about how you decide to look at it. That doesn't mean situations won't be difficult or that whatever you face will be easy, it's just that you don't have to sit and spin in all of the ways circumstances can be difficult or worse. You don't have to live there.

I am a huge fan of inspirational quotes and pictures and Facebook pages, etc. But, I have to thank the original source of inspiration for my outlook and the attitude I strive to demonstrate. My dad rules.

To say I have drawn on this sentiment throughout my running gig is an understatement. And, given yesterday's main events, it was strong in my heart as I treadmilled my way through today's three miles.

Oh, yes, I did say treadmill ... snow was predicted, and it showed up! Lizzy and I checked it out after my run:
Lizzy's super excited to be restrained ...
that, or I stink ...
Later, Pit Crew #2 and I went out to investigate ...
... and got pelted in the face by little snowflakes being whipped
at us! Thanks, wind!!
And, clearly, I'll be on the treadmill again tomorrow ...
... because I'm not running in boots ...
I'm still no fan of the treadmill, but I'm happy to have the opportunity to keep on schedule. Besides, I still have good stuff on the DVR. The question will be: Dr. Phil? Or, Hoarders? Wait ... I think I finished all of the Hoarders on there ...

Whatever I watch, wherever I run, I can't let today go without specifically thanking my dad for teaching me that the way you actively choose to look at a situation is what matters the most, and that a positive outlook can carry you through a lot.

With that, I'll check in after the morning run!

No comments:

Post a Comment