Sunday, February 16, 2014

Get Back Out There By Getting Back Out There

Today’s Numbers: Nancy's Days Run: 31 Nancy's 2013 Mileage: 90.3 Elly's 2013 Mileage: 43 Money Found For Food Bank: $9.25

It wasn't pretty. But, it was accomplished!

As determined to do, I hit the roads this morning to get my long run on! Not knowing the condition of all chosen paths, I left Elly at home (to her dismay until I distracted her with a rawhide) and hit it solo, sore back, clogged head and all!

It was a huge relief to be in the fresh air! It was so nice for scenery to change, for my pace to adjust as I hit inclines and down hills (my fave -- ha!) and to actually go somewhere while logging the miles! However, the differences between running outside and using a treadmill came screaming at me, and I can only say the first two miles felt pretty brutal. I've searched my brain for a less dramatic word, but that one best fits the bill. I felt like it was my first day out ever. Yeah, I said it: ever. Pretty much every part of my body including my snotty head hurt which made paying any attention to how I felt physically nothing more than an adventure in feeling defeated. That, or it was hilarious given how I felt vs. what I know I can do.

I went for the latter and had a chat with myself about how these feelings will pass. I just need some time to reboot. It's been weeks since I've run outside and even longer since having a solid long run, so expecting miracles the first time out -- or, putting myself down for the current condition as though it will never get better -- is ri-donk-u-lous.

And, just as I was feeling very settled and peaceful about my mindset of faith, I came across the first of my monetary finds. It was a penny in the middle of the road, there for no apparent reason. I mean, it's not like I was running through a drive thru. No, it was found completely old school. And, that felt very, very right.
Here's the total for today with the penny closest to the bottom
-- the one covered in salt from the snowy roads -- was the first
find. 'Appropriate in both manner of finding and its condition
reflecting what's been going on!
Every mile after two actually felt better than my wobbly re-entrance to the outside world! My clogged head was a little bit of a challenge, but (you guessed it) it was better than being on the treadmill!

Hey, did I mention it's been snowing making it difficult, and sometimes impossible, to run outside?
Tired from running? Only a little bit.
Tired from chock-full sinus cavities that
somehow exacerbate the rhythm produced
from my pounding feet? Um ... yes
It was nice to be out and about. Even with some unplowed sidewalks or pathways that were somewhat shoveled only to now provide an icy minefield, it was worth every head-pounding step!

What's funny is that, physically, I feel oh-so-much better for having gone out. I think the movement regreased the joints and muscles and got all of the feeling-strong mojo flowing again! I can't say the same for my head, but I can't expect it all at once!

What's also funny is was coming home to a few beings that had not moved since before I left. Here's Exhibit A and Exhibit B ...
"Move? Why would we move?"
There was a day I would have talked myself out of today's run, or, at least out of the distance, but I've learned it's not necessary. Just because it won't feel perfect doesn't mean it won't be worth it! Having a rest from running day scheduled for tomorrow doesn't hurt, either, so I'll check in from there!

No comments:

Post a Comment