Thursday, February 13, 2014

Revisit, Review and Rethink!

This nuisance of a cold I seem to have developed is keeping me guessing. No sooner do I think I have a handle on what it is I'm dealing with that it changes to something else leaving behind no trace of what happened prior. It goes like this: I have a nasty, red, sore throat. Wait, I mean, I have a lot of body aches, but that's all. WHAT I MEAN IS I have wicked-itchy eyes and a case of the sneezes, my body feels fine, why do you ask? Oh, what I'm saying is I'm tired but feel okay otherwise ...

For real. I guess it makes it all interesting, right? Given its course, though, I'm quite confident I will be able to run outside on Saturday's long run as long as enough street/sidewalks clear by then. I'd love to say adios to the treadmill for a while -- not that I haven't appreciated having one ...
In the meantime, I had to share that I think I've stumbled upon my new favorite food:
That's exactly what it looks like -- peaches from a can!

Of course this isn't a new discovery for anyone, but it's a rediscovery for me. I used to love them as a kid, but somewhere along the way, they not only left my world, but I also managed to, well, demonize them. Peaches from a can? Puh-leez!! Given my culinary desires, that I ever even formed an opinion about fruit in a can is laughable.

Canned fruit was a staple in our house growing up. I also remember the day my mom kept strongly suggesting my brother and I have some canned peaches for a snack. That was code for: Eat something better for you than the ice cream. (So, we did, in fact, split a can of peaches before eating ice cream. The latter is such a duh.)

Once I was out on my own, apples became my fruit staple because they were so inexpensive and I was on a major budget. And, as I grew and heard more not only about buying fresh as much as possible but also about how much sugar is packed into canned fruit, well, bye-bye canned fruit!

I've done no investigating in the canned fruit aisle for going on two decades until yesterday. What validated (oh my) my pursuit was watching the Food Channel's Rachel vs. Guy celebrity cooking competition and seeing Herschel Walker put canned peaches in his cobbler because it was taking too long to peel and cut up the fresh ones. With all of my cooking and recipe knowledge (whuuuut ?) I was certain he'd be crucified by the professional chef judges, verbally smacked sideways for what I just knew was an egregious culinary error.

When I could not have been more unbelievably wrong (hearing one of the pros basically say he could not possibly care less where the peach came from ... no exception, not "well, it happened to work here, but usually these things suck," nothing), I decided I needed to revisit the canned fruit aisle. I did so yesterday, and, to my surprise, not only is there a packed in just water option (!!!), but they're also way more reasonably priced than I expected. And, they're as delish as I remember. They tasted awfully fab on my oatmeal, too ...

It's funny the decisions we make along the way, never revisit and just accept as accurate. From my thoughts this week about what we think of ourselves all the way through something as ordinary as canned peaches, I suspect there are a number of "truths" we hold dear that we could probably revise or even let go.

I know I, for one, had plenty of thoughts about myself I had to purge before lacing up my first pair of running shoes ...

Chew on that as we head into Friday!! I do so love Friday ... and, I love Valentine's Day! I'll check in from there on this double-rest from running combo!

No comments:

Post a Comment