Thursday, September 26, 2013

Running Needs

I just started reading a book that has completely grabbed my attention and sucked me in:
It's about this guy (um, the author ...) who felt called to bring himself and as many others as possible closer to God by way of running and praying his way across the country in what turned out to a 3,700 mile journey on foot. Three thousand, seven hundred miles on foot. Holy cannoli. And ... Ouch!  I'm thinking that's an impressive feat regardless of one's personal beliefs!!

Okay, there's a whole lot of interesting documentation in there, but I had to share something that totally and completely stunned me when I read it: On the 3rd evening of his journey with a 27.5-mile run scheduled for the next day, he ate a large dinner of burritos and tacos. Burritos and tacos. My question was immediate: How in the world  did he eat that kind of dinner and not find himself having to stop and go to the bathroom every quarter of a mile for the first couple of miles?!

I asked this question out loud to Aaron, and he said that perhaps I am more concerned about making certain I don't have to stop and go to the bathroom during a run than this guy was. He had a point.

Look, I can only say that the idea of eating something like a burrito (presumably with refried beans in it) the night before a run of any distance struck immediate fear into my heart. Yeah, running has changed me like that.

With a long run looking at me in the morning, I'll be keeping all needs in mind as we make dinner tonight! It's funny how running permeates so many pieces of life. It's cool how it's all good, too. It'll be even more cool when I actually map out tomorrow's run, so, I'll be getting on that and checking in when it's finished tomorrow! See you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment