Saturday, September 21, 2013

Ready, Set ... Race Recap!

It's hard to believe that fewer than two weeks ago, I wasn't even considering running this morning's 10K only for it to turn out to be one of my all-time favorite runs! Ready? Here we go!

As usual on race day, the whole fam was up and at 'em bright and early. Wait. It wasn't bright at all. In fact, it was dark. Nevertheless, we were up, out the door and to the event in plenty of lollygag time! The moon was even still out! There it is!
And, there we are!
My favorite Crew ... all supportive and chilly in the very cool
morning air!!
And, hey! There's my friend Melanie!!
Remember I mentioned I recently learned of a friend running today's 10K? She's the one! She just started running in June ... how cool is that?!

The Half Marathon started a half hour earlier than the 10K, so we had plenty of hanging around time. We wound up having extra hanging around time with a slight delay in the start of the Half. And, why was that? Check it out as the administrative snafus of two years ago that made me not want to do this event again didn't just re-emerge, they simply did not disappoint:
And, what is going on up there you ask? Check it out -- this picture is taken from the start corral. Just after running over the timing mat, runners need to turn right to be on course. However, these porta potties were positioned just right so the very.long.line. of potty goers extended past and cut off the ability to turn on to the route. Look, it was either poor planning, or it was a coup designed by the 10Kers in line. You decide.

Fortunately, it being an event on a relatively small scale, the line went down quickly, and the Half began. The fam and I stood and cheered for every runner 'til the last was out of the chute. It was at this time we actually heard the tunes being provided for our pre-race pleasure. And, it was confusing. Here's the thing ... I actually loved most of the music. Journey's "Faithfully" and Toto's "Africa"? I'm a big fan. But, at a race? A race with a specific musical theme? Is it just me? I think not. Melanie and I weren't the only ones in the crowd mentioning our concern about dozing off before heading out. And, the choice of Queen's "Another One Bites the Dust" doesn't really evoke internal motivation at a distance run. Especially in a run where they're not closing off traffic. Just sayin'.

Soon enough, it was time for the 10Kers to get set. We went our separate ways ... one to the corral, three to picture-taking position.
One last pic before heading to our posts!
Of course, it's not like I'm without my camera, and of course it was out before the race even began!
You know how I love my pre-race shoe pictures! Lavendar
kicks were right in front of me?!
And, these?! YUM!
I took this one because Melanie is in it. I'll let that be a Where's
Waldo moment for you!
Until I was behind the starting line, I had yet to decide what kind of run I wanted this to be. Shoot, I haven't run in an official 10K in so long that I didn't really even have much on which to base a decision. A 10K's an "off" distance for me -- a 5K is quick enough to get some speed on and know it's almost over, and I know my pace for a Half. So, what's a girl to do with the in-between?

As the start clock counted down from 10, this girl decided to pour it on and leave everything out on the route. That's what a girl's to do!

With that, I was off and took off faster than I ever have for any run. I know you're not supposed to do that, but I had enough confidence in reevaluating and slowing it down if need be without berating myself for doing so, so I figured I'd just go for it. That mental component was key and very much my former nemesis, so having faith that I could pull back without emotional consequence allowed me to just go-go-GO!
There I am in the red on the left ... not yet in focus. Kind of
like how I was feeling when we arrived under the moon ...
Around the aforementioned porta potty line corner is an up hill stretch that used to be so very painful for me ...
Today's only pain of this hill came from the blaring sun rising behind it. There's no picture of that; it would only be white anyway! It was no fun at all going directly into that sun especially with eager racers to my sides and uneven brick under the feet, so I used the unpleasantness to motivate me to just go faster!

Almost all of the streets and trails of this run were very familiar from past races. It was strange but fabulous to have such a full memory bank on which to draw as I ran. To be honest, I've struggled at some point on every part of this run where I've been before, and it was nice to rerun when I felt positive and strong and, further, felt I had not a thing in the world to prove even to myself. Indeed, I've come a very long way!

I haven't come so far that I don't have some fleeting snarks in my head. For instance, there I was running down this hill approaching Mile 2 ...
I've always wanted to run down this hill. It's big, and it looks
like fun (and, it was). The very dead deer at the bottom of the
hill was not fun at all.
... when I overheard a dude talking about how he wanted to see if he could get to Mile 3 without stopping because today was the first day in 20 years he'd run 2 straight miles. I turned and clarified that he really just said first time in 20 years, and he was all, "Yeah, I used to run, but I don't anymore, but (she) wanted to do this, so I was like, 'Yeah, I'll come do that with you'." He was a super nice guy, and I was genuinely impressed that he was able to just up and go like that, but it didn't keep my brain from being all, "You kinda suck." Fortunately, such jealous sentiments are truly in jest. Anymore. (ha!) I actually wanted to say that he sucked out loud, but I took into consideration that he doesn't know me, and that might not go over very well.

By the way, it was right before this down hill that I came upon an intersection where I had a very big decision to make: Look up, and don't scope for money OR give in and do what it is you do. You see, given the broken windshield all over the place, there was obviously a recent collision. And, when there's a collision, there's often change in the vacinity. Yes, I know these things. I almost immediately saw a penny and was trying to convince myself of my GO! St. Louis found-money strategy (make a mental tally instead of picking it up, and put that much in the Food Bank fund myself) when I saw a quarter and a dime, and I decided not to resist.
How cool is it that this 36 cents took the Food Bank change
tally to $13.10?!
I hopped out of the flow, circled back and scooped up the goods. I just couldn't help myself. (Whee!)

I also couldn't help visiting the ghosts of past races when we hit the trail:

This stretch is very similar to one we used during May's
Go Girl Half and last year's 5K. Seeing a line ahead of me
that long used to just annoy the heck out of me because it
made me feel like the run would never end.
And, it was right along here at the 2011 Roots and Blues Half
when I lost a whole lot of confidence -- 3 miles in to the run --
and, I knew things weren't going to go my way. But, that
wasn't going to be the case today!
Here near the finish, I decided to check in with myself. And, I was feeling great!
Selfies: Not yet banned in America! Good
thing I am not racing in Hong Kong ...
I could not have designed a better overall experience for this run. The weather was perfect (it was only 59 degrees when I finished!). The route was better than I expected (minus the steep up getting to Mile 5, but whatcha gonna do). I was excited for my friend experiencing all of this. My Crew was eager to cheer me and they had time to partake in a fun treat while waiting. Everyone. Wins. !!

I had no idea of my time along the way, but it was quite inspiring to wave to the Crew waiting for me just before the finish then look at the finish line clock to see I was about to smoke my best 10K time.
Just keep going just keeps paying off!
Here's another ghost of races past: As soon as I crossed the finish line and stopped, I thought I was going to lose it. No, not by way of tears ... *urp!!* To the pleasure of myself and those around me, I didn't. The feeling flitted away as fast as it hit me. And, that's mighty excellent because did I really want to get my beautiful finisher's medal nasty?!?!
Best medal EVER!! That itself was worth
the entry fee!!
Let's take a closer look at that, shall we?!?
THIS they got TOTALLY RIGHT in my book!!!
So, with another run in the books, let's hear it for love from the Crew!!
Hooray, chilly Crew!! I wouldn't want to
do this without you!!!
And, let's hear it for huggin' fellow racers!!
I did it ... she did it ...
We totally did it!
A very special thank you to my very biggest fan!
And, of course, I cannot forget to acknowledge and give the love to my trainer ... who was left behind ...
"Uncool to leave me behind, mommy. What gives?"
"Seriously. Explain. I'm all ears."
And, with that, it's onward tomorrow!! That Half on November 2 isn't going to run itself, so I am back on schedule with a morning run! Elly will be so pleased!! No fanfare, no bling, just easy going! It's all about what you want to make of it on any given day. That is the pleasure I've found in this running thing! Make today what you want it to be, and I'll see you after the morning run!

No comments:

Post a Comment