Friday, September 6, 2013

Coming Along

What you hear about muscle memory is always themed around how you need to mix up your workouts so your body doesn't get used to the routine. So, if you run the same route time after time after time, your body instinctively knows when I hill is coming up, that kind of thing. I can certainly attest to that.

I can also attest to a more fabulous aspect of muscle memory. It's this: You know how I keep saying to keep on going as best (and as safe!) as you can through such challenges as heat and humidity and that there will be a payoff on the other side? I know, it's difficult to believe when you're being pounded by the elements, but your very awesome muscle memory is going to remember the effort you put in. So, when you come upon that run where the weather is more on your side, your muscles are ready to push as hard as they did when the humidity was thick even though  they don't need to. It's not only that you feel better than you've felt, but you are probably actually doing better than you were before the nasty weather. Apparently, running through humidity is like resistance training. Only way less pleasant.

Everything I just said was totally applicable to this morning's run. The humidity was there but low, and the temperature was at least 10 degrees cooler than last Friday's long run. So, where I had a brutal 10 miles last week, this morning's 9 were strong, consistent and fun most of the way! I never had to refill my water (keeping in mind I went through 3 bottles last week en route), and I had no desire to walk on any hill. Wait ... I always have a desire to walk on a hill (I mean, duh); I just didn't find it necessary today!

Speaking of the route, I had a wee case of the giggles this morning when I came upon this:
See how the sidewalk curves around the tree? When I first started running, I used to get sooooo annoyed coming upon something like this because those were totally the days of, "Ohhellno  I'm not running one step  farther than I absolutely have  to because that one more step might make me fall over and die." Here's another place that also incited such bitterness in my running pursuits:
You do see, don't you, that there is such little divergence from going straight to running all the way around such paths that I clearly did not have very good personal perspective in those days!

Those were the days I didn't stop and smell the roses at all. But, I did today! Literally!
I expected one of those make-your-mouth-
water smells (I'm not the only one who
has that happen with a good rose smell,
right?), but these were rather faint. Good
to look at, though. Oh, and right before
these, I saw a big dog that looked like a
bear cub. I'd blame it on the delusions
brought on by humidity, but I've already
sold myself out on that excuse ...
Indeed, these 9 were good. And, going through the last few, torturous long runs was totally worth it. I mean mostly. No, totally. Yes, I'll settle on totally!

I'll also embrace tomorrow's Rest Day!! Wahoo!!! See you from there!

No comments:

Post a Comment