Thursday, September 19, 2013

Makin' the Best-o Of No Expo ...

I do so love when things that are supposed to go smooth actually do! Pit Crew #3 and I just went to pick up my stuff for this weekend's run, and, except for the fact that we found the building where it was taking place but could not find the entrance, it was easy breezy! Whee!!

By the way, I must clarify my snarkiness yesterday about no one knowing when and where packet pickup was to take place. There are people out there who knew, and there are people out there who didn't know. I happened upon one who didn't know -- but I thought should know seeing as he took my registration form and money -- and he couldn't find anyone who knew. So, I have to admit I generalized yesterday where a whole new set of people today were totally in the know. Except about the start time of the race. Totally not kidding. I do think I have it all deciphered at this point, though!

Kudos to those who picked the shirts this time because they are wayyyyyy better than two years ago!
Nicely done on the shirt. I just had to get a pic next to the
very elaborate sign. hee hee. (See PC#3 in the window
reflection? He's doing an awesome job being a pit crewer!)
I like the colors a lot ... they remind me
of summer fun!
Remember the one of two years past? Ewwwwwww ...
I know, I worked really hard to get the wrinkles out of the way
for the very best presentation. Two years later, and I still
hate it.
Gray most certainly suggests "athletic wear." Brown suggests big pile of dog crap. Just sayin'. I wear the brown one almost hoping it gets overcome with super nasty sweat issues that makes parts of the shirt crusty to where I have to get rid of it. C'mon, people, it's happened to you, too!!

So, while this run hosts no Expo (*sigh* but, duh ... not a huge draw here), they did have a few tables outside with some protein snack thingies and a push for the healthy eating center at one of the gym's local branches. We did sample two of the protein snacks ...

From front: pumpkin; vanilla and chocolate ...
... and, I took a picture of this fun healthy meal box display simply because I thought it was pretty. The lady working the table did not understand why I pulled out my camera, and I gave no explanation other than, "It's just what I do." *click!*
Normally, I'm no fan of protein bars, etc., because they're dry and don't taste like what you hope. The chocolate version behind PC#3's hand is case in point ... so gummy and dry I couldn't carry on a conversation with the lady who wanted to talk (kind of like when your dental hygienist not only talks to you while cleaning your teeth but also asks you questions, and you're thinking, "I'd answer you if you're hands weren't all up in my grill."). I didn't have the heart to tell her I thought the chocolate sample tasted terrible, but I made up for my dismissive attitude when PC#3 and I tasted the vanilla variety, and we raved because they were awesome! I don't really know what they were, what was in 'em, nothing. Something peachy, something vanilla-y, coconut covered ... Informative, I know. But, we had a good time.

And, as the healthy snack lady was pointing out different programs and products, she made statements such as, "Well, you're a runner, so this would be great for your energy," and, "You're a runner, so you already know about this ..." and, each time I heard her say, "You're a runner," I kept thinking, "Huh ... I really am !" Yeah, five years later, and I think I'm finally and totally on board!

Oh, and I also put my name in for a drawing for a gym membership plus personal trainer for one month. The dude soliciting entries was all, "Hey, do you already belong to our gym?" to which I responded, "You don't get that I'm way to cheap to pay for a gym membership." He laughed and said that he hoped I won. Even if he didn't mean it, he was a nice man. The membership includes 4 weeks of a personal trainer. That I have considered for a short run, but, now that I know how much they cost, I'd better win it or it ain't happenin' ... Stay tuned for my winner's announcement, right?!

We were in, we were out, and it was a fun little trip for me and my pal!
Smallest Crewer; Big, huge fan!
I'm really looking foward to Saturday's run! But! That doesn't come around until I indulge myself in one more day of rest!! WAHOO!!!! I'll see you from the kitchen tomorrow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment