Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Fork In the Road

Okay, it was a moment like I've never had running ... come along with me ...

Wanting a new route to run, I mapped my course last night. I didn't pay enough attention to remember the end of the route by this morning, though, so I spent the entire run debating if I turn left for a loop or go straight at the last juncture to make that decision. If I didn't turn but was supposed to, I cut the run short. If I turn but didn't need to, I have bonus distance. The difference probably wasn't huge either way, but once I hit the fork in the road to make the final call, I decided going over was better than going under.

And, Elly decided diving in was the thing to do.

Just as we made our turn and headed up the stretch, Elly was doing her normal, nose-to-the-ground investigations. She hadn't pit stopped in a little bit, so I wasn't surprised when there was tension on the leash behind me as I assumed she'd found yet another perfect potty stop. Instead, she was nose buried in deep grass with ears strongly perked. She's not normally that interested in a potty spot, but this is how she looks when something fascinating has cavorted the grounds before her, and she simply must smell. Deeply.

The next thing I knew, Elly plunged her snout so far down that the grass covered her eyes. Up she popped her head with a baby bunny in mouth.

Oh, you think you  just gasped!!!

My gasp was mighty audible, but I stood there frozen. Elly stood there with creature in mouth for a moment looking around like, "Now what?" I'm pretty certain I let out a, "Eww, gross!" Right before Elly tossed it aside.
Merely moments after the, well, moment.
Big piece of grass stuck to the side of her
snout from the dive. She can't even look
at me. Gross.
My guess is it was already dead before she got it. But, I'm not certain. There was no real way of telling as I had no interest in investigating it by that point. It was definitely too late then.

The only thing we could do from there is head on our way. Well, that and make a mental note to definitely brush her teeth today ... but that will wait until after her next meal-o-kibbles.

(I just went back to the room where she is, and she filled the atmosphere with some gas. What is her deal today?!)

With that, I'm off for the rest of my day and will be back at the run tomorrow. I'm a little leash-tugging shy right now fearing every tug means she's diving for some other critter, but that'll wear off. What a morning. May your post-Labor Day start to your week be a little less surprising, and I'll see you after the morning run!

PS: After remapping my run, it turns out we did not need to make that turn. We could have gone straight and accomplished the goal. We, instead, went more than a half mile extra. That's okay -- evidently Elly needed to run off some bunny calories ...

No comments:

Post a Comment