Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Glory Days

I just realized Elly should have titled yesterday's entry "Jill Of All Trades." Eh.

So, happy Tuesday to you, and happy Rest Day to us!! As noted yesterday, Elly totally whiffed understanding today was not a running day and proceded to give me her best pout for the better part of early morning. She's over it now, never fear. And, she gets to run with me tomorrow although that will be a slow go because it's supposed to be in the lower 70s when we go!! Taking care of her is the top priority, so I'll be following her lead for sure!

But, today, we rest. Well, at least, we take a break from running! The clean-out-the-entire-house rampage continues with great success (I was this close  to putting a thank you sign on the bags at the curb for the garbage men today), but on such a nice day, I had to get outside for a while. So, I chose to mow the lawn (um, Rest Day ... anyone ...?). Mowing gave me the same kind of just-thinking-thoughts time as running does, and my mind landed on deciding what to do (read: how to decorate) the space we're clearing and redoing. That lead me to think of pictures I want to display, and, for some reason, my brain went to a picture that's in my senior yearbook:
You might recognize the pony tail mojo.
I've always had that goin' on.
There I am at 18 playing Varsity soccer!! Two words for me at that time on that team: Rock. Star. Honestly, we all were. We were a crazy-good team. And, I loved soccer. Loved it. Every minute of it. Every. Single. Minute. Funny how I hated running at that time in my life, by the way. I loved running after a soccer ball, but that wasn't running. That was playing soccer. Duh.

Anyway, I thought about how if I were to scrapbook that picture (which is already done for me in the yearbook, but whatever), I'd probably use glittery letters to title it, "Glory Days." And, just as quickly as I thought of the title, I thought, "Wait ... what ?" (I also immediately got Bruce Springsteen's "Glory Days" stuck in my head where it has now been for the last three hours. You now, too? You're welcome.)

Sparing you of the wild path upon which my mind often wanders before getting to the real point, I'll break it down. What it came down to was this: Thinking in terms of "Glory Days" made me feel like the best was behind me. Like I was at some kind of peak in high school. Like I couldn't exceed the abilities and accomplishments of that 18-year-old kid.

-- Thank you, Power Of Run Facebook
I figured out in that moment that every stage of life has its own glory, and you actually get to decide what that is! I totally maxed out the opportunities in front of me when I was 18. But, frankly, that's how most of my life past that point has also felt -- like I've maxed them out in an awesome way! There have been some pot holes where I'm pretty sure I was more surviving than living, but, even in those times, I knew that was both temporary and necessary so as to get back to sucking life dry for all it has to offer -- back to creating even more days of glory.

So, no, no way are my Glory Days behind me. In fact, I feel right in the middle of them having just finished a Half but training for this next run with the virtual Half in its heels (the days might be called Glory, but the planning on this was kinda stupid, just sayin' ...!). The excitement of the possibility of pulling off these runs might have gotten the best of my logical brain, but I don't care! It's been fun! Oh, and the best part? I get to decide what counts as Glory! I do!! All that matters is that I go forth with my heart and soul -- just like that soccer player up there whose whole world in that moment was getting that ball. Simply by living life to its fullest, I win!

Amaze yourself today in any way you decide matters! Elly and I will see you after we get our sweat on tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment