Thursday, April 11, 2013

Listen Up

I came across this saying on the Distant Runners Facebook page, and I totally dig it as it applies in general to life as a whole. I will tell you, though, that I totally let "yesterday" (read: this past Sunday) use up today in terms of running. All last night, my upper legs were on fire screaming at me to give them some rest. While my two runs this week felt fine, I wasn't going to ignore the all-nighter after party my legs were having, and this kid took an unplanned Rest Day!

Yeah!!!

This is an important notable because, as you probably know, there was a day I would have never considered skipping a run. Those were some inexperienced days, though, and I made decisions based on what I thought I was supposed to do (or, worse, feared not doing) and not on what I knew in my gut was the right thing to do. I've totally learned to not just listen to my body but to also know when it's actually telling me something or when I'm trying to make it tell me what I want to hear (ie: goooo baaaack tooooo beeeeeeeddddd ... -- gotta learn to ignore those sentiments!).

I'm sticking with rest tomorrow, too. Oh, yes I am. YAY!! I'll be best rested for Saturday's longer run that way. Or, I'll find out I'm still tuckered and that maybe another Half so soon is a bad idea. We'll just have to wait and see, and I'm open to either outcome. (So's the Crew ... remember how they get pizza no matter how far I run next month? Win. Win.)

Have a great time coasting into your Friday, and I'll see you from Rest Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment