Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Get Off the Sidelines

Have you ever heard of author Brene Brown? You're about to ...

I saw her on the 9/13/12 episode of the "Katie" show, and, in my opinion, Brown has identified a key factor to success of all kinds and one that is most definitely applicable to the running that I do. (And, by "running that I do," I mean exercise of the non-elite athlete status taken on in an effort to develop and maintain a healthy lifestyle while still getting the house cleaned, having my work done, shuttling the family where it needs to be when it needs to be there and, yes, indulging in family play time. That kind of running is likely not getting me on any podiums, but I still win in my bigger picture.)
"I heard you shower. That means today's not one of your
'running that you do' days, doesn't it? MAN!"
Anyway, Brown's key to success: Letting yourself be vulnerable. By that, she means feeling uncertain, taking a risk and experiecing an emotional exposure ... and doing whatever is making you feel that way anyway.

Brilliant.

I have talked to so many people (who have specifically asked) about my running -- what it took to start and what keeps me going. The questions are totally logical especially given I started at 39 and am not a natural runner. As you know, I had my rules from the get-go and talk about those including being nice to myself and not making excuses to not get out there and go.
"Another of your rules needs to be, 'Always take the loyal dog.
Always.' "
But, the one thing I don't think to talk about very much is how scared I was to begin. I was scared to fail for sure. I was scared to be laughed at. I was scared to be looked at like I didn't belong. I was scared to come in last. As it turns out, these thoughts comprised my vulnerability, and that threatened my participation.

Not trying bothered me more than feeling weird giving it a shot, so, I remember making the conscious decision to not care what other people thought. Don't get me wrong, I soaked in every, single cheer anyone gave me, and I fueled many runs by them. But, it really came down to deciding what I wanted to do and going out there to accomplish that no matter what anyone else thought. I most certainly didn't want to defeat myself before ever trying, so, while I didn't like feeling vulnerable, I knew I would gain nothing by giving in to it.
"No need to feel weird, mommy. You rock. That cat over there,
though, does not rock, and I wish I could eat her. But, I won't."
Brown would likely tell me that what I did was show up and made it okay to be seen. And, she would be right.

Pushing through the feeling of being so exposed was the best thing I could have done for myself. Running has touched every aspect of my life: mentally; physically; emotionally and spiritually. Sure, there's the run itself, but every finish is also about what it took to get to the finish in the first place. And, that's something I'm not afraid of anyone seeing.
"What's cool is when they see you, they
usually see me, and I'm quite a sight. I
mean, look at my waggy tail!"
Are you considering doing something but feel weird, self-conscious or vulnerable to start?! I get it!! And, so do so many others!! Trust me: It's okay to feel that way!! It just doesn't need to control what you do.
Channel the mind of a cat ... no worries about what anyone
else ever thinks there!!
Tomorrow's a running day for me! Get out there and do whatever you want to take on. It'll be like we're doing it together! Have fun, and I'll see you after the morning run!

No comments:

Post a Comment