Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Busy In the Kitchen

Hey! It's Rest Day, and, I've been itching to find and try a new, nutritious recipe. Over the weekend, I stumbled upon one for Sweet'n'Spicy Breakfast Hash With Tofu (recipe here), and I really wanted to try it! It's a quick one ... come with me!

The ingredients are pretty simple and appealing because they're good on the nutrition:

I cut all of the ingredients from the recipe into a fourth since I was making a sample serving for just myself. I really just followed the recipe and cooked things in the order called for (except for pre-cooking the sweet potatoes ... those have to be really cooked to the point they don't taste like sweet potatoes anymore, or I'm not eating them!).

Here's how it turned out:
Can I just say this single portion was huge?!
The verdict: It's okay, but it needs serious tweaking for me. First, I think I made a mistake in accidently buying, therefore using, a yellow onion rather than the red one called for in the recipe. It made the dish really sweet in a way you couldn't get away from it. When I make this again, I'm bagging the onion altogether and will use onion powder for flavor. Second, the tofu needed to be pre-cooked, too, to dry it out a little bit. It was yummy and absorbed the ketchup/Worcestershire sauce very well, but crisping it up would have added a nice texture.

This sample had about 100 calories, and I'm totally full, so that was very worth the attempt. It was a good way to explore the sweet potato and tofu cubes base! Next time, I plan to just throw those into a pan and cook them up with some spices. That sounds perfect for me, so that's Plan B!

And, why even bother with these? Sweet potatoes are fabulous for fiber and have no cholesterol, and tofu also has no cholesterol and is a great protein source! That's a winning combo to keep you going no matter what your activity for the day!

In the interest of full disclosure, I give you Elly's verdict based on her sniff-the-air test. I mean, you know dogs will come and hover in the area where food's cooking. They're hopeful like that. On this one, Elly wasn't so interested. She didn't even move in the direction of the kitchen. *sigh*:
"No. Thank. You. I'll stay here and continue with my nap."
So, while I don't like the dish as a whole, I do like the base. There's going to be more of that happening around my house at least for me! There's another recipe coming your way very soon, too, and it's one I'm actually more hopeful about in a universal way! Stay tuned for that, and I'll see you after tomorrow's run!

No comments:

Post a Comment