Thursday, September 27, 2012

Easy Does It, Not Really

A few years ago, I was talking to a friend of mine who, after running her first Half Marathon, said that immediately afterward, she was exhausted. Her legs hurt, and she took a nap for a few hours. (Ooo ... nap ... that sounds good ...) She was a lifelong runner and longer distances (more than 5 but less than 10) were pretty routine to her. She'd trained for her Half and finished in great time. But, she was a bit surprised to find out after that she was so tired.

More wisdom from the I Love To
Run Facebook page ...
I'd not yet run my first Half, but I have to say I didn't follow her train of thought. I mean, at that point, I was tired after almost every one of my 3-mile runs. I was totally spent after my first 10K (Wait, "after?" I meant "during".). I was routinely sore. And, when I finally got into the "official" training for my Half, Aaron was required to give my legs a rub-down after every weekend long run. So, I most definitely assumed that when I'd run my first Half (almost a full year after my friend ran hers) that I would, indeed, be tired.

I also remember my friend saying, "So, when is this supposed to get easy?"

I, the novice of the conversation who was just happy to not only start a run but to also finish one, kept my response to myself: "I didn't know it was supposed to get easy ..."

Now that I'm rounding the corner heading toward celebrating my 4th year of running, I have a little more perspective, but my response to her question really hasn't changed. What has gotten easier over the years are the short runs and my attitude toward them. Also easier is my attitude toward taking on a bigger goal; I've already shown myself I can accomplish a longer event, I just have to decide I want to. That's pretty cool.

But, speaking for myself, these double-digit long runs are not really easier. I am still feeling Sunday's 10 miles in my legs a little bit this morning, and that doesn't inspire a girl to throw on the running shoes and get back out there. But, crossing that finish line next month is the prize my eye is on, and that's what I am after, easy or -- let's face it -- not.

So, with some still-talking-to-me leg muscles, Elly and I went on out today. It was the week's shortest run, so I stepped up the pace just a wee bit to make the outing as short as possible. I am certain the run itself was in good time, but Elly made sure to take full advantage of the vast potty options, so there was a little time added on for good measure.
"I spy with my little eye ... a new place to mark! Wahoo!!"
During one of her stops, I picked up a little piece of reading material while I waited. I hear people use that time to read, so, since she can't ...
I'm always intrigued about what others buy. And, why not check
it out with little Miss Must Potty Everywhere taking her sweet time.
Elly finally wrapped up her biz, and we went forth. There was a trash can right where we were, so I could fling the trash right on in. Right?
Seriously, how did I miss that? *sigh* In
case you didn't know, a wet receipt does
not fly through the air the same as a bag
of doggie doo ...
We were almost finished with our run when we came around the corner to find a man walking his really fierce dog. You know, a dog about the size of Elly's head. Elly let me know she would take care of it if need be:
"Say the word, mommy, and I am on it!"
There was no need for a rumble, and we wrapped up strong, sore legs and all. My favorite part of any run is always enjoying a little cool down stroll. And picture.
"Yet again, we did it, mommy. We rule."
It's okay for whatever you're taking on to not feel easy. Just because it's not easy doesn't mean it's not worth it or, more important, that you're somehow incapable of your goal. Make it yours, be proud, and I'll see you on tomorrow's Rest Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment