Saturday, September 8, 2012

Amazing

During a last-ditch effort to find just the right tool of organization for PC#3's school supplies, I was standing at the register of Office Depot where this display caught my eye:
Of course, the colors grabbed me immediately. And, then, I was sucked in by the messages. All of the items in front of us were a promotion for the Born This Way Foundation ("Empowering Youth. Insiring Bravery") You can read about it here http://bornthiswayfoundation.org/ . I couldn't help but rummage through the wrist bands. I really loved what they said! How simple!

Be Involved
Be Kind
Be Yourself
Be Amazing
Be Brave

Aren't those the message we turn ourselves inside out to teach our children? Aren't those the messages we adults, deep down, crave ourselves?

I immediately picked out the Be Amazing bands for the kids. Because that's what they are. And, on the days they don't remember it themselves, I wanted to remind them.

And, I thought about my upcoming Half. The one for which I have to keep getting up earlier and earlier to run the training routes. I thought about how far I've come in the past few years. (How very far ...) And, so, I got one for myself to add to my running gear (as it is!). Running that far is pretty amazing even if I don't necessarily feel that way during ... ! So, I'll own that.

And, I got one for Aaron. He was sidelined from ever running a race at the same time I took interest in taking on the challenge, but he figures out ways to be fully present and involved in the family running endeavor whether it's to lead the Pit Crew and its fabulous support or to enter a race with us and embrace his fast walking pace.

There's nothing like a little reminder here and there to motivate you:
And, in a house keeping note, the Read, Right and Run Challenge is back on! You might remember PC#3 participating in his Runner's Club last year which was the club facilitating the requirements to enter the Challenge. This year, both kids are registering, and the miles are already adding up! While PC#2 racks hers up early while she trains for next week's Komen Run, PC#3 and I took advantage of the sudden great weather and walked to the store to run an errand rather than drive!
Here we go, here we go, here we go again!
It's been a great Rest Day full of fun and unexpected inspiration! It's now time to play some four-square ... so, when I whine about how difficult my run is in the morning, just expect that I'm going to blame any sluggishness or soreness on this playground favorite! See you after the run!

No comments:

Post a Comment