Monday, July 30, 2012

We All Have Our "Don't Want To" Mornings, Don't We?

Just before heading out this morning, I went out on the deck to see just what "76" on the thermostat felt like this morning (felt excellent), so I grabbed Elly's leash. This act alone usually sends her in a mini frenzy of crazed anticipation. That girl loves to go!!

This morning, however, she just stared at me until I gave her a command to come. She lazily got up and wagged her way toward me, but it was clear she was not excited to get out there. Our last outings have been much warmer than she'd like for sure, so I'm certain she anticipated much of the same. Did I say 'anticipated'? I meant 'dreaded'.

Fortunately for both of us, it was much nicer than it has been for weeks! And, the drop in morning temperatures is just enough to turn Elly's frown upside down! See?
I'm glad she enjoyed the run today. I did, too! I felt the temperature difference when we were ascending the last real hill of the route and we could cruise up it instead of our recent trudgings while gasping for air! It was at that moment that it was clear these last weeks of continuing to go out in the heat whether I wanted to or not (and, most often in the heat, my vote is for not even though that doesn't help anything in the long run ... *sigh* ...).

I was also glad it was a good run because I had a lot of mental spring to my step after finally putting the Half Marathon training miles on my calendar last night! Whee!
Here ... We ... Go!!!!
I had some help, too:
Help or Annoyance? You make the call.
I am going to be perfectly honest that I thought I was going to feel overwhelmed when writing these miles down. The combination of a jam-packed summer of life stuff plus battling so many morning runs in the heat do not add up to an inherent feeling of "I've totally got this." But, with every, single mile I wrote on that calendar, I felt the spark re-ignite inside, and I got totally excited to start the countdown! I say again: There is nothing like shooting for a goal to motivate the process it takes to get there!!

I will take Elly with me for all runs the temperature and distances allow! So, I'm on my way again! But, not too fast! It's Rest Day tomorrow ... YEAHHH!!! See you then!
That's right, puppy dog ... we rest tomorrow!
You've earned it!

No comments:

Post a Comment