Thursday, July 5, 2012

Short'n'Sweet

Happy post-Fourth of July!! I hope it was a fun and safe one for you! We always have a soiree with our neighbors and shoot off fireworks. We had to break some tradition in that we only lit ground ones given the crazy lack of rain. However, the neighbors retained the tradition of brinking Hostess Ho Hos to the gathering. We don't know why it started, but it's something everyone looks forward to!

You want to know something, though? That Ho Ho sat in my stomach like a rock all night long!! Woah, that was something to wake up to ... perfect for a running morning, huh? (Um, noooo ...!) I was dragging enough as it was (have I mentioned I'm totally ready for a break?!), so that Ho Ho was bumming my running buzz for sure!!

Well, too bad, so sad, I had to get out there anyway! And, even though it was cutting it close with the temperature, I was able to take Elly! She tailed me as I walked to the kitchen to put on my shoes, and she showed off her very happy smile and her very waggy tail -- all signs telling me she wanted to join me! Right? Maybe not! I grabbed the poo bags and the leash (the universal signals for her to dance around and make it very difficult to hook on her leash), and she turned, walked away and did this:
Even Daphne over there watched the show and looked at Elly
like, "You're kind of a doofus ..."
I was ready for a slow pace this morning, so that pooch was going! She rolled over on her back as I hooked the leash, but she readily got up when it was time to go!

She was a great pal and had a lot of fun sniffing all of the fireworks residue throughout the route. I enjoyed hearing her nails scrape the asphalt (trim those babies!), and we simply cruised out and back on a short, Thursday route. Thursday's runs are always the shortest. I love that.

I also love this zinnia in my garden -- doesn't it look like an exploded firework?
I just noticed yesterday that it was the perfect compliment
to the holiday! So very cool!
Today, I celebrate my 100th run of the year yesterday! It totally escaped me until last night, so I thought I'd celebrate today! I also celebrate hitting that 400th mile this morning -- WooHoo!! Both stats will sound better when I'm not quite so weary to be honest! They'll certainly inspire me post-Rest Week ... for now, I'm still on the countdown ... two more runs!!

See you on tomorrow's Rest Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment